Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 6 speed trans
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
partwerks
I see where http://renegadehybrids.com/ has the LS6 with a Boxster 6 speed trans. Under 6 speed 914 tab.

Anybody, by chance drove one, or have that particular conversion?
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(partwerks @ May 8 2014, 06:48 PM) *

I see where http://renegadehybrids.com/ has the LS6 with a Boxster 6 speed trans. Under 6 speed 914 tab.

I have a Cayman S 6 speed, almost the same transmission. I love it!

At first I just figured I would have to shift more. But it ends up keeping the engine in the power band between shifts. Awesome acceleration. I bought a Boxster shifter and new Cayman cables from Porsche.
driving.gif
partwerks
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ May 8 2014, 05:57 PM) *

QUOTE(partwerks @ May 8 2014, 06:48 PM) *

I have a Cayman S 6 speed, almost the same transmission. I love it!

At first I just figured I would have to shift more. But it ends up keeping the engine in the power band between shifts. Awesome acceleration. I bought a Boxster shifter and new Cayman cables from Porsche.
driving.gif

What engine do you have??
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(partwerks @ May 8 2014, 06:58 PM) *

What engine do you have??

Audi 1.8 Turbo...
partwerks
What's the top speed on it?
Qarl
QUOTE(partwerks @ May 8 2014, 10:09 PM) *

It's "crap your pants" fast!

driving.gif
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(partwerks @ May 8 2014, 07:09 PM) *

At 80mph in 6th the engine is at 3500rpm. Red line is at 7k. The fastest I've driven the car is 120mph before I ran out of road.

It's damn fuching fast... evilgrin.gif
partwerks
At 75, the WRX is running at 2,800, and before adding a taller gear, I pushed it to 140, and haven't tried it since. I presume it would go faster yet, but tires are getting old. I have it on stage 2.
QUOTE(partwerks @ May 8 2014, 07:31 PM) *

At 75, the WRX is running at 3,000, and before adding a taller gear, I pushed it to 140, and haven't tried it since. I presume it would go faster yet, but tires are getting old. I have it on stage 2.

What year is the WRX?
partwerks

Been thinking about that LS engine. I didn't realize they had some many versions of that engine.
BIGKAT_83
I have a Boxster S six speed with a LS conversion. This makes a great car.
You can use the Boxster transaxle with your Subaru engine. Percision Chassis Works makes a Subaru to Boxster transaxle adapter. Go to the website and look at his EG33 conversion 914. I was at his shop last Christmas and looked at this. This is one of the best engine conversion I've seen.

I also have a Subaru powered car now with a Subaru transaxle. If I was building a new car I would go with the boxster transaxle over the Subaru one. It has many advantages over the Subaru box. Cost not being one of them!

Bob
bulitt
lol-2.gif As a bunch, we sure are something! Always looking at the next piece of pie!

So I'm still working on my SBC/901 conversion, see Bigkats post, and now thinking- Put that S trans in.

No, if I would spend the $$$ for the adapter then put the LS in also.

Possibly some of the conversion crew are ADD types confused24.gif I know I am aktion035.gif
partwerks
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ May 9 2014, 03:01 AM) *

You can use the Boxster transaxle with your Subaru engine. Percision Chassis Works makes a Subaru to Boxster transaxle adapter. Go to the website and look at his EG33 conversion 914. I was at his shop last Christmas and looked at this. This is one of the best engine conversion I've seen.

I also have a Subaru powered car now with a Subaru transaxle. If I was building new car I would go with the boxster transaxle over the Subaru one. It has many advantages over the Subaru box. Cost not being one of them!

Bob

What does the transaxle use for a shifter?

What do you have for the LS conversion. There appears to be many different ones?

Wondering if it would be easier to try and push more from the Subie, or change engines??
r_towle
On a boxster transmission, could you post a picture of the starter motor location?
earossi
Not to throw cold water on the Boxster S transmission, but we have had a premature failure of that transmission, which is mounted in our Boxster S. The tranny self destructed at about 60k miles. The synchronizers grenaded. In researching our failure, there were other horror stories about how cheaply the tranny is made.

So, my question for someone that has been inside these various transmissions is to comment on the design of the various transmissions. The Boxster tranny is nowhere near as robust as the G50/34 that I have in my 993. That box is indestructible.
BIGKAT_83
QUOTE(partwerks @ May 9 2014, 08:00 AM) *

QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ May 9 2014, 03:01 AM) *

I also have a Subaru powered car now with a Subaru transaxle. If I was building new car I would go with the boxster transaxle over the Subaru one. It has many advantages over the Subaru box. Cost not being one of them!

Bob

What does the transaxle use for a shifter?

What do you have for the LS conversion. There appears to be many different ones?

Wondering if it would be easier to try and push more from the Subie, or change engines??

You use the stock Boxster shifter with the stock cables. Set in a new Boxster and shift it, thats the way it works in a 914.
With your car I would just put in the Boxster transaxle and leave the subaru engine. Give Kent a call at Percision Chassis he can help you out with this.

Bob
mepstein
What about a boxter trans on a 3.2 Porsche engine? I have an evil built 901 trans with a first gear delete and h gear for 4/5th but a more rugged 6 gear box sounds like the ticket -possible?
andys
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ May 9 2014, 04:01 AM) *

I also have a Subaru powered car now with a Subaru transaxle. If I was building a new car I would go with the boxster transaxle over the Subaru one. It has many advantages over the Subaru box. Cost not being one of them!

Bob

Bob,

Witth your LS/Boxster S, who did you get the adapter from, and what clutch/flywheel did you use? I presume you didn't use the Boxster intermediate plate that holds the starter. I wasn't aware you converted your LS car to the Boxster trans. Got any photos of the adapter/clutch/flywheel?

Andys

Andys
Mike Bellis
It looks like Precision Chassis is using a 2001-2004 Boxster S transmission. It has a mostly round bell housing. Mine is a 2005-2008 S transmission that has the standard Audi/944 shape bell housing.

2001-2004 tranny
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Here is a cool link with tranny details.
http://www.californiamotorsports.net/987.htm
naro914
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 9 2014, 09:09 AM) *

What about a boxter trans on a 3.2 Porsche engine? I have an evil built 901 trans with a first gear delete and h gear for 4/5th but a more rugged 6 gear box sounds like the ticket -possible?

Unless someone has come up with some really slick adapter....unfortunately you can't (I would jump on it immediately if you could). Main problem is, the starter on the air cooled engines is mounted on the transmission, but the starter for the boxster is mounted/integral with the engine side of the fence.

(Hence, I assume, Mr. Towle's question)
mepstein
QUOTE(naro914 @ May 9 2014, 12:04 PM) *

Unless someone has come up with some really slick adapter....unfortunately you can't (I would jump on it immediately if you could). Main problem is, the starter on the air cooled engines is mounted on the transmission, but the starter for the boxster is mounted/integral with the engine side of the fence.

Bob I don't know enough about this stuff to get what you said. How is it being used with subies and chevy's if it cant be done with a type 4 or air cooled 6.
BIGKAT_83
QUOTE(naro914 @ May 9 2014, 12:04 PM) *

Been done with the 3.2 porsche engine. Been posted on the website many times do a search for ABC914
BIGKAT_83
Here ya go...Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Bruce Hinds
Does the Subbie or Boxster have taller gearing? What about choices of gearing too?

I don't what just an overdrive, I'd like to have a nice set of wide spaced gears. Renegade rebuilt my box years ago for my SBC and did a gear swap, for a 901 it's a real nice set up. I don't know what they used, but 3, 4 & 5 are all higher and it makes a nice 4 spd. I would like to have 5 that I could use and turning the engine a little slower at HWY speeds.

What would the RPM be say at 70 with a boxster 5 spd?
r_towle
Where is the starter?
naro914
ooo.... hadn't seen this before...so is there an adapter for the starter?
I would LOVE to do this for Papa Smurf.
naro914
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 9 2014, 12:40 PM) *

Where is the starter?

You can see it on the first picture exactly where it is for a 901/915/G50.
That's why I'm curious about an adapter. must have one, right?
r_towle
QUOTE(naro914 @ May 9 2014, 12:42 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ May 9 2014, 12:40 PM) *

Where is the starter?

You can see it on the first picture exactly where it is for a 901/915/G50.
That's why I'm curious about an adapter. must have one, right?

just want to see the picture from the other side....with a starter in plain view please....

Rich
naro914
Rich are you not seeing both pictures? Starter in first picture is in plain sight. I would love to see how the transmission looks out of the car with the adapter for the starter
r_towle
QUOTE(naro914 @ May 9 2014, 01:09 PM) *

Rich are you not seeing both pictures? Starter in first picture is in plain sight. I would love to see how the transmission looks out of the car with the adapter for the starter

oops, I missed those new pictures.

That is cool...how is it done?
r_towle
I just emailed and called precision chassis in AZ.
He may make an adapter plate for this.

Looks beefy enough at 1-1.5 inches thick to handle a starter...

we shall see.

rich
partwerks
QUOTE(earossi @ May 9 2014, 04:21 AM) *

Not to throw cold water on the Boxster S transmission, but we have had a premature failure of that transmission, which is mounted in our Boxster S. The tranny self destructed at about 60k miles. The synchronizers grenaded. In researching our failure, there were other horror stories about how cheaply the tranny is made.

So, my question for someone that has been inside these various transmissions is to comment on the design of the various transmissions. The Boxster tranny is nowhere near as robust as the G50/34 that I have in my 993. That box is indestructible.

Is there another version of the Boxster trans, that is not pooping out prematurely, or was that just an isolated case?
earossi
QUOTE(partwerks @ May 10 2014, 09:18 PM) *

QUOTE(earossi @ May 9 2014, 04:21 AM) *

Is there another version of the Boxster trans, that is not pooping out prematurely, or was that just an isolated case?

When our tranny grenaded, we did a search of the Pelican and Rennlist forums for information on the tranny. What we found was that there was an apparent cheapening of the tranny design. For instance, many of the bearings utilize plastic ball retainers rather than steel.
partwerks
Is the Boxster S, different than the Cayman S 6 speed?

My mechanic gave me the 2014 catalog with the LS engines. I wonder if the ones with the super chargers would be too high to sit in the engine bay?

I was eyeballing the LS7.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(partwerks @ May 10 2014, 07:43 PM) *

My mechanic gave me the 2014 catalog with the LS engines. I wonder if the ones with the super chargers would be too high to sit in the engine bay?

Different ring and pinion, slightly. Different model number.
partwerks
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ May 10 2014, 07:17 PM) *

QUOTE(partwerks @ May 10 2014, 07:43 PM) *

Different ring and pinion, slightly. Different model number.

I wonder if it would work with the LS engine?

Are there any problems with this particular trans VS the Boxster S?
partwerks
QUOTE(partwerks @ May 8 2014, 05:48 PM) *

Am I understanding this correctly, if you purchase the kit from Renegade, then the eingine is bought for $8,000.00??

Under the 914, and LS V8 conversions tab.

AND...With the purchase of our 914 LS series conversion kit, you are eligible for a discount with CBM if you call us first with your kit order! How can you beat a new, dyno-tuned, fuel-injected, 400+ horse power engine, with all the prep work done for your 914 conversion, and a rock solid warranty, for under $8,000? You can't...even with a used motor. This is why so many have turned to Renegade and CBM to provide the solution! For further information give us a call!
ClayPerrine
How about this?

Take a 915, and cut off the bell housing, leaving all the clutch throwout arm points. Make sure it is attached to a jig with a center hole for the input shaft. Then take the Boxster trans and cut off the bell housing the same depth as the cut down 915 bell housing.

Move the boxster trans with the cut down bell housing over to the 915 bell housing. Then have them TIG welded together.

Now you have a mid engined, 6 speed cable shifted trans for an air cooled engine. Use a 915 clutch assembly, and a Boxster disk.

r_towle
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ May 11 2014, 12:48 PM) *

How about this?

Take a 915, and cut off the bell housing, leaving all the clutch throwout arm points. Make sure it is attached to a jig with a center hole for the input shaft. Then take the Boxster trans and cut off the bell housing the same depth as the cut down 915 bell housing.

Move the boxster trans with the cut down bell housing over to the 915 bell housing. Then have them TIG welded together.

Now you have a mid engined, 6 speed cable shifted trans for an air cooled engine. Use a 915 clutch assembly, and a Boxster disk.

Go for it, let us know how that works out for you smile.gif
partwerks
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 11 2014, 02:17 PM) *

How about this?

Sounds like too much of a Frankenstein for me to encounter, but would that Cayman S 6 speed hook up to the LS engine, I wonder?
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(partwerks @ May 11 2014, 05:42 PM) *

How about this?

Sounds like too much of a Frankenstein for me to encounter, but would that Cayman S 6 speed hook up to the LS engine, I wonder?

IIRC.. the LS6 engine's starter is mounted on the engine. so it should just need an adapter plate.
BIGKAT_83
QUOTE(partwerks @ May 11 2014, 06:42 PM) *

How about this?

A Cayman Transaxle will not work with the Kennedy adapter. They only work with the 2000 to 2004 Boxster S and 911 996.

The Cayman and Boxster 2005 and newer are the same transaxle. These have a different bell housing bolt pattern than the early cars.
partwerks
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ May 9 2014, 07:51 AM) *

It looks like Precision Chassis is using a 2001-2004 Boxster S transmission. It has a mostly round bell housing. Mine is a 2005-2008 S transmission that has the standard Audi/944 shape bell housing.

2001-2004 tranny
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Here is a cool link with tranny details.
http://www.californiamotorsports.net/987.htm

Do you by chance have any pics of the mounting bracket used for the shifter cables, and how it is mounted on the trans, and how the boxster shifter is mounted in the cab?
Valy
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ May 11 2014, 09:48 AM) *

How about this?

Let me know when you're going to weld that magnesium case. I'll buy you flowers.
Maltese Falcon
Boxster trannys have short lives in POC racing, if the heat is not dealt with.
Heat as in blue transmission cases.
Oil cooling is your friend !
Marty
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(partwerks @ Jun 20 2014, 03:48 PM) *

Do you by chance have any pics of the mounting bracket used for the shifter cables, and how it is mounted on the trans, and how the boxster shifter is mounted in the cab?

it's quite simple. See pic below. The shifter bolts to the floor and cables snap in like on the tranny. This is a 5 speed but the 6 speed is similar.

Don't over think it.

Click to view attachment
Mike Bellis
Here is my Boxster shifter. It is a 2001 5 speed shifter. I have it connected to my 6 speed with 6 speed cables. Seems like most of the shifters are interchangeable. I also have a short shift kit installed. I also cut the shifter and added a Mustang shifter handle so I could have a threaded knob. The factory setup is a flat bar and the Boxster knob is a wedge fit.

The cover is custom fiberglass on a steel wire frame. I used a stretchy cloth to make the basic shape on the frame and fiberglassed under the cloth. Shifter is bolted to the floor with 6mm rivnuts into the tunnel.

You can also see switches for power windows, heated seats & electric parking brake, along with a volt gauge and fire suppression system. No boot yet.

Click to view attachment
partwerks
Thanks for the help Mike, and any future help that might be needed.

I should have realized that it already has it on already..............

I would imagine that the bracket on the back with the 4 bolts will be removed and used to mount the back of it somehow?

Are the cables then run through where the shift rod used to be?

Never heard of a electric parking brake?
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(partwerks @ Jun 21 2014, 09:34 PM) *

Thanks for the help Mike, and any future help that might be needed.

I should have realized that it already has it on already..............

I would imagine that the bracket on the back with the 4 bolts will be removed and used to mount the back of it somehow?

Are the cables then run through where the shift rod used to be?

Never heard of a electric parking brake?

My cables do run through the shift rod hole. They are just about the perfect length. Maybe an inch or two too long, but they work fine.

I have not completed the install of the electric parking brake yet. Basically I have an electric actuator operating the cables (push/pull) to a set of mini calipers from Wilwood. The switch has a red light that will illuminate with the key on if the brake is set.

I finally put my car up on jack stands today for major surgery. Stay tuned to my build thread for updates.

I tried to incorporate the factory tranny mounts when I built my engine cradle but I opted to make custom units. I used 5/8" DOM tubing for most of it.
partwerks
How did you seal up the hole where the cables went through at? I presume there were some gaps?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.