Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is this right?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ripper911
The ignition control unit in my 911 doesn't seem to be working, it's not making any noise when the key is on.

Should there be a wire on the empty spade in this picture? There is a loose wire floating around but I don't want to just plug it in and mess something up if you're not supposed to attach it there.
IPB Image
bdstone914
That would be the ground wire that is missing.
SLITS
It's a 3 pin Permatune unit. They do not whine when powered up.

There is a ground wire attached to the spade terminal.

It either works or it doesn't. Supposedly not rebuildable as they are "potted".
ripper911
The unit was left unattached when I drove it home, I figured that wire might have fallen off during the flopping around.

So, it doesn't make any sound?

Hopefully I can hook the loose wire onto it and it'll work. I'll need to vacuum out my carbs before try to I fire it up though. dry.gif
SLITS
The case is already grounded thru the bolts that attach it to the chassis, but they do have a separate ground thru the tab.

Roll the engine over with the starter and check for spark. If none, your points are closed/misconnected/dirty or the unit is dead.
ripper911
Hopefully the points were changed when they switched distributors, if so they should only have about 40 miles on them.

The mechanic said he tested the unit before installing it, if it doesn't work then I should be able to get it replaced.

I'm pretty sure the non-starting issue is ignition related since it wouldn't even fire on starting fluid the last time I tried.
SLITS
That red wire on the 3 pin harness better be connected to switched power or you will get nothing!
ripper911
I should be able to work on it this weekend if I can manage to finish my accelerator cable install. headbang.gif

Or... if I get frustrated with fixing the 914 maybe I'll get it running to drive to work next week. 5 miles shouldn't be too far to drive without an external oil cooler. rolleyes.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.