Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windshield washer help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mobymutt
My car has an aftermarket electrical windshield washer installed.

Click to view attachment

However, the power wire is not hooked up. There is a toggle switch on the fuse panel that has all the wires cut off.

Click to view attachment

I touched the loose power wire against the fuel pump connection, and the washer pump worked, so it's just a matter of reconnecting it properly.

Assuming the toggle switch works, where do I hook up the wire from the toggle switch into the fuse panel?

Thanks in advance!
mobymutt
Also, my fuse panel was held on with zip ties. Does anyone know what size and length of fastener is supposed to be there?
SLITS
M5 X 10 Oval Head Machine Screw with internal lock washer

Connection depends on whether you want constant power or switched power. Use a VOM to determine which lug on the fuse panel is constant or switched and connect power lead on a spare spade lug.
mobymutt
Thanks! Does it matter if I combine it with other circuits, or should I use a blank circuit (if there is one available)? What about fuse sizing?
Spoke
QUOTE(mobymutt @ May 9 2014, 04:54 PM) *

Thanks! Does it matter if I combine it with other circuits, or should I use a blank circuit (if there is one available)? What about fuse sizing?

No it will not matter where you put the washer as it takes so little current.

Fuse 9 is a good candidate. With your voltmeter, find a fuse that switches on and off with the ignition switch.

Once you find a switchable fuse, with ignition off, remove the fuse then turn the ignition back on and find which side of the fuse has power. You will connect the washer to the dead side of the fuse. This ensures that the fuse is in series with the washer.
mobymutt
Thanks to all, I now have a working washer! So good, in fact, that it can actually spray behind the car and get the garage door wet.
76-914
Why were those wires cut in the first place? idea.gif You might want to replace that with a momentary switch later on.
mobymutt
QUOTE(76-914 @ May 9 2014, 10:36 PM) *

Why were those wires cut in the first place? idea.gif You might want to replace that with a momentary switch later on.

Oh, that's a good idea, thanks!

I have no idea what's going on with all the wiring, it's crazy under there. I think there are 8 different wires going into fuse position 8. I'm wondering now if that toggle switch was meant for the wipers, and not the washer.
76-914
Possibly. My '76 had about 40' of extraneous wiring just like that. The PO had jury rigged around a defective relay. I pulled all the wiring that wasn't OG then connected every wire to it's proper lug. That alone will take the better part of a Saturday and get you pretty familiar with the wiring Once that was done it was a matter of posting a few questions here and a VOM meter. And be sure all spade connectors, grounds and fuses are very clean. Enjoy your toy. beerchug.gif beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.