Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: More tie down talk
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Zeke
The 911 has a 14mm bolt where the 914 has an 18mm bolt. The guy that has these doesn't seem to want to drill them out for me. Maybe he's afraid they will be too weak. Before I make my own, what do you think? BTW, I have to run 2 fat washers right where this gizmo goes, so it would do two things at once for me.
http://www.autometricsmotorsports.com/imag...on_tie_down.jpg
URY914
I saw those eyelets(?) on thier site. They need to make them for us 'Teeners, it would make things easier.

Paul
seanery
Those are like Velcro:

So simple and yet so useful!
someone make em and sell em for $25/car.
Gint
I was looking at those also after we were talking trailers. Could be that he doesn't have enough material to drill that hole out to 18mm and stilll have a decent safety margin.

Time to break out the plasma cutter/grinder and make your own. I'd like to have a set right about now. Hmmmm......
jtf914
Those remind me of the weltmeister tow hooks for the front:
Brad Roberts
Home Depot. We weld a loop to the rear control arm of the "track" 914's that surround us. Something bolt on would be cool, but it would have to be made specifically for the 914 shock bolt (big).

B
airkewl
I use those same rear shock eye bolt tie downs on my 69 911 vintage racer. They are definitely the way to go (subject to the bolt size problem for 914). I had not seen the Weltmeister fronts; may have to get a set of those. Its a PITA to loop an axle link around the a arm each time.
Tony
Zeke
What about the added benefit of the spacer? Does anyone's shocks hit their trailing arms besides mine? I have Bilsteins. The little skinny stock shocks don't hit.
Gint
Milt,

I've had Bilsteins on the rear of 2 different 914's and never had one hit the control arm.
Zeke
Gint, I have the perches at the lowest setting because I can't find short/heavy springs. So I have stock length 3.5" 160# springs that will be changed to 2.5" when I find the money for the necessary perch kit. I wish I could find 200# short 3.5" springs and just get to driving it. BTW, at lowest perch setting my rear jack donuts are 5" off ground.
Gint
Gotcha. I think mine were stockers (long gone now) and as such didn't need (an weren't) all the way down the shock body.. IIRC, they were 4-5 "rings" up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.