Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 side shifter rear cup replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Doc in GA
My '73 side shifter has a worn socket cup in the back (no surprise) and I am wondering what the best way to get the old cup out and new cup in. I have removed the screw with very little trouble (thank God), but shift rod head doesn't want to move. What is the secret to replacing the spent plastic cup??? Also, is there a cup in the bottom of the shifter in the front that needs to be replaced, too?
bdstone914
There is no cup on the shifter on a side shifter. Remove the cone screw in the shift coupler and disconnect it from the front rod. You may need a helper to pull the shifter rearward while you pull on the rear shift rod. Twist and pull on the shift rod to get it loose from the cup.

And read the Pelican tech article.
Cap'n Krusty
You may need a hook tool ot a cotter pin puller to get the cup out of the metal part. The new one snaps on over the ball and drops into place as you reinstall that same metal piece. I use silicone plumbers grease on the ball, as it seems to be less harmful to the plastic.

The Cap'n
r_towle
Might be old school, but I use a hammer and tap the shifter coupler off the shifter rod while holding the shifter rod.

Tap mean tap..

Keep it in neutral and don't hit it so hard you put it in gear....hold the rod.
Once you remove the coupler, it will slide off the plastic bushing.
Pull the bushing off the ball, again, don't force the in any direction....it will pull off, but may take using pliers or a lever to get it off.

Dave_Darling
I just grab the bent part of the shift rod in one hand, the part with the bushing in the other hand, and twist them against each other. Keep twisting back and forth, and the rod should come out.

--DD
pcar916
I've always used compressed air to blow out the plastic cup from it's metal boss., BUT NOT INTO THE OPEN AIR. It's a ballistic missile unless you contain it.

Wear glasses and ear protection... then.

Held between the jaws of a vise, or some wood slats that won't move when they're whacked, I leave enough room between the jaws (or boards) so the plastic piece can only come out about 1/2in. when the pressure is applied. Then using a nozzle with a rubber tip, the air gets blown into the vent-hole in the side of the metal cup.

Use low pressure, just enough to get the plastic cup to move.

Good luck
Doc in GA
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ May 10 2014, 11:00 AM) *

There is no cup on the shifter on a side shifter. Remove the cone screw in the shift coupler and disconnect it from the front rod. You may need a helper to pull the shifter rearward while you pull on the rear shift rod. Twist and pull on the shift rod to get it loose from the cup.

Thanks bdstone914, I hung 2 12" crescent wrenches over the shifter rod forward of the shift rod head and tapped the rod out of the head with very little effort (which is amazing after forty years lying undisturbed). There was not one piece of the cup left in the head!! No wonder it has been shifting so sloppy for the last few years. Thanks, you guys have really helped. I even got brave enough to rebuild my own brake calipers.
Doc in GA
QUOTE(Doc in GA @ Jun 3 2014, 11:57 AM) *

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ May 10 2014, 11:00 AM) *

Thanks bdstone914, I hung 2 12" crescent wrenches over the shifter rod forward of the shift rod head and tapped the rod out of the head with very little effort (which is amazing after forty years lying undisturbed). There was not one piece of the cup left in the head!! No wonder it has been shifting so sloppy for the last few years. Thanks, you guys have really helped. I even got brave enough to rebuild my own brake calipers.

bdstone914, you still have quantity of Wehrle relays for sale that I saw on 911 site? I would like to purchase a few. Thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.