Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mazda Rotary Transplant
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
d7n7master
Check it out. Mazda Rotary Transplant - U here???

http://web2.airmail.net/atl/Rotary.html
IPB Image
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (d7n7master @ Jan 14 2005, 10:18 PM)
Check it out. Mazda Rotary Transplant - U here???

http://web2.airmail.net/atl/Rotary.html
IPB Image

i believe that is DLee or david lee IPB Image
d7n7master
Wonder how much weight it adds???
dlee1967
Yep, I am here. The rotary engine adds a little weight but it is up front due to the radiator. I think the Type IV and the 13B are a similar weight. (never put them on the scale) I ran 180lb rear springs on the car on the street and was very comfortable.

The best part about the rotary is the power band is well suited to the stock gearbox. You aren't going to destroy first gear either with low torque in low revs. The worst part was that it generates as much heat as a V8 through the coolant and more heat through the oil. A large oil cooler is necessary. The other downside for me was the noise. My car was a chain saw when you really stepped on it. This could be fixed with multiple mufflers in series. I am getting too old for a noisy boy racer car. The rumble of the V8 suits me fine.

With that said, I decided to go to a V8 as I wanted more torque and horsepower. As I am not a rotary expert, I decided not to bridgeport the rotary and just sold it to a guy in CA who put it in a Karman Ghia. Probably a scarey ride now with stock brakes!!!!!!!!!!! Now if I could come across a 3 rotar engine or a twin turbo........David Lee
d7n7master
Well $hit Howdy!!!
What a shweet ride. IPB Image
You mentioned engine noise. Our '88 RX-7 has HKS exhaust & it is
crazy quiet below 4 g's. Wonder why yours would sound like a chain saw??? IPB Image
lapuwali
Rotaries sound awful with anything like an open exhaust. You have to muffle them pretty well. One reason turbos are such a good idea for them...
soloracer
David, good to see you on this board. Your website is what prompted me to start on a rotary powered 914. I'm the guy with the 3 rotor twin turbo that you have pictured on your website. I'm still gathering parts for the build but should be able to get started with the construction soon. I'll be sure to start a 20B Install thread when I start. I bought a Renegade Hybrids radiator set up for my car which should hopefully take care of the water cooling part. The previous owner of my 914 was doing a flat six install and left me a large oil cooler that I'll plan to use. Intercooling is going to be a challenge though. I'm thinking of either a rear trunk mounted one with fans and ducting or possibly having one that is mounted above the engine and ducted from the roof. A front mount is out of the question because of the limited room and long piping required.

As for the rotary engine sound you are right in that an uncorked rotary is obnoxious. A friend of mine runs with an open wastegate on his RX7. When he gets on it and it dumps to atmosphere people on the sidewalk actually jump or flinch.

I like the sound of the 3 rotor though. They sound somewhat like a v12 and when wound up give that resonance/howl that makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up (sort of like the ferrari howl). Here is a 20b running on a front clip. Doesn't sound too bad in my opinion.

http://members.shaw.ca/erikdumas/3Rotor_Ga...augesOnClip.avi

I plan on running the stock twins as they are capable of putting me in the 400 hp club.
dlee1967
I can't wait to hear that you have that beast in the car and running. The key is to try to do at least one item on a task list each night. I love the widebody kit on your car and the width of the rear wheels. The twin turbo 20B is the engine to use, just a bit scarce in Texas. I had a buddy locally that put one in a Lotus Seven (Locost). 0-60 was 3.2 seconds. Scarey fast....

I am looking for a good chassis right now to metal flare, reinforce, cage and then we are going big horsepower. The silver car that had the 13B (now a built 305 with cage) is a test mule and not really polished. I had to replace the lower inner and outer firewall. I am ready to do a real clean car to keep and enjoy for a number of years.

When I have a little time, I will update my site with the builds of my two V8 cars. There seem to be a number of cars out there, but few sites dedicated to the process. At least those that are not biased and trying to sell you their kits. One of my cars is a complete Renegade "kit" and radiator. The other that I built for my wife is a Desert Hybrids "kit" with a Renegade radiator. There are pros and cons to both.

Keep in touch and I will look for posts on your progress.......

David Lee
kenporacer
Had an employee with a rotary 510 once. I named it Wang! Cuz thats what it sounded like wangwangwangwangwangwang.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.