Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2.0 to 2.7 - finally
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mike D.
I had every intention of doing the six conversion with a 2.7 when I started this adventure, but it just didn't work out that way. Well, I finally picked up a 2.7, and all I have to do is put it together IPB Image The head's have already been done, and the case is a 102 7R, so no pulled studs. I just have to finish getting everything cleaned up, and get a gasket kit and maybe some chains and... Viola...New engine for me! IPB Image IPB Image

Think I can get this done by WCC time? The race is on...

BTW, The barely used 2.0 six will up for sale when I'm done, minus all the 914 goodies and carbs.

HERE WE GO....
-Mike D.
J P Stein
QUOTE (Mike D. @ Jan 14 2005, 09:50 PM)
and the case is a 102 7R, so no pulled studs.

One does not follow the other.

All 2.7s have 7R cases and many have pulled studs......too many. It is imperative that the 2.7s are kept cool. If you let em' get hot, they will break your heart & your wallet.

Congradulations, you've gotten my free & unsolicited advice for this hour. IPB Image
lapuwali
The thing that killed most 2.7s were those friggin' thermal reactors. Use the Raceware head studs when reassembling the engine, and you won't have any broken studs. Time-sert the stud holes in the case and you won't pull any, either.
Joe Bob
Talk to me about the motor.....

356@cox.net
J P Stein
QUOTE (lapuwali @ Jan 15 2005, 12:07 AM)
The thing that killed most 2.7s were those friggin' thermal reactors. Use the Raceware head studs when reassembling the engine, and you won't have any broken studs. Time-sert the stud holes in the case and you won't pull any, either.

There is more than one school of thought here.
I used "case savers" & the full thread epoxy coated Dilavar studs.

Either way, heat is the issue. Let it get too hot and they can break the Dilavar studs or pull with the Raceware....thread inserts or no. Pick your poison.
sixnotfour
More Power Scotty !! IPB Image
Joe Bob
Most of the heat was from the US mandated smog equipment of the time...once that is shit canned and the engine rebuilt, should not be a problem.
rick 918-S
Ya, I thought it was from some plastic cooling fan failing. Causing the cats to over heat the motor.
campbellcj
I may be interested in the 2.0 depending on its specs & condition; especially if it's an aluminum case. My current 2.2 puts me in "no mans land" with the local race groups' rules so I may either drop back to a warmed-over 2.0 "S" or build a crazy-ass 2.5 short stroke
Mike D.
My car has a front oil cooler, and will be running carbs, No smog/cats to over heat anything. The 2.7 case has never had a pulled stud. So what are you guy's saying, it's only a matter of time? Why F with something if it isn't broke? I know I've heard all the recomendations, but if the engine made this far without pulling a stud...
I'd love to hear to someone with a 2.7 that has not done timeserts or casesavers. It's not that I'm opposed to it but heard about problems with "fixes" too.

-Mike D.
Joe Bob
Well if it made it, it made it...not all 2.7s pull studs just like not all 3.0 break the bottom row.....

The Thermal smog (0xidizers?) thingys are what cooked the motors.....they acted like an afterburner.....
sixnotfour
What year is the motor ? 3rd diigt in the serial # there is more to just the studs pulling, if it had a five blade fan in CA m it ran hot. most 2.7 cars didnt have oil coolers,up font and had air cond.
usally the main line is shrunk and out of round and the cylinder spingots are the same , and the deck heighth is all over the place. So when you pull the studs to fit all of that half the time the threads are no good either so they get case save or timeserted, line hone decked and bored.
Check to see if the cylinders fit into the case nicely or do they have to be forced in to seat , that will tell you a little more about your case. If they are tight the case needs the whole process. Also the crank may turn hard with new bearings because of mainline problems.

If the studs are all still in the case tight you might be alright, I have never done one without machining the case. and doing timeserts or case savers.
Buy new chains IPB Image

Jeff
jim912928
I'll be interested in hearing all about the 2.7 in this thread. A guy I know has a tired 2.7 (has turbo covers, 11-blade fan?, 7R case etc.). It has 120k on it and no broken studs. Has low oil pressure and #1 piston fouls it's plug every 500 miles or so. I'll be looking at getting it pretty cheap..and I'll rebuild myself. I'll get it with all CIS in tact and will probably install with CIS and not carbs. Keep the 2.7 info coming!
J P Stein
There is nothing inherently wrong with the 2.7L and no one has said that they will eventually pull their studs, but....
I agree totaly with what Jeff has said about rebuilding the things. I'd go so far as to say ....anyone with a lick of sense rebuilds these engines as Jeff describes.

Many main bores on these motors are so warped that a line hone won't do the trick and they need case resurfacing and a line bore or linebore & oversized (OD) main bearings(if you can find em'). Either way is big bucks.

Valve guides wore quickly due to heat and maybe a poor choice of guide material.

Most Porsches are sold in CA and that would include the 2.7Ls. Any 2.7L from a hot climate is suspect.

Any pre 76 2.7L should have the oil bypass mods done and get the newer oil pump.

Most have Alusail cylinders and this precludes switching pistons for bigger cams.

Get Anderson's book & do some reading.

An external oil cooler is the hot ticket (NPI) for keeping them cool.

What else ya wanna know?

Mine works. IPB Image
Mike D.
Read Bruce Andersons Book cover to cover. this is where I found "901.101.102.7R Mag cases are the strongest of the magnesium crankcases" and "This is the best of the magnesium cases for use in building any 911 engine", no where in his book does he say all mag case need time serts.

Again I'm not at all opposed to doing the modification, and I probably will, I just want to know if every single 911 engine produced from '75 to '77 has pulled a stud. It sounds like more often the studs just broke rather than pulled.

This IS research...
sixnotfour
No they dont all pull studs ,There is alot of other things mentioned above.

Check to see if the cylinders fit into the case nicely or do they have to be forced in to seat , that will tell you a little more about your case

While torqueing the heads on and you hear "ping"or "crack" then you will be in the know. Thats if the crank turns.

The heat cycling of the 2.7 engine over the years has an effect on the Mag.
500.00 bucks no worries. Or You may have gotten a Rare Good One.

You are right I have seen poorly installed timeserts fail. Casesavers Giant wood scew no way will pull out.
Mike D.
QUOTE (sixnotfour @ Jan 16 2005, 01:46 AM)

Check to see if the cylinders fit into the case nicely or do they have to be forced in to seat , that will tell you a little more about your case

Oh yeah... IPB Image

I'll check out this and report back.

Hey what about the CIS? loaded question, huh? IPB Image
sixnotfour
CIS smooth running fun car . Quiet
Interesting thoughs shared here,

My thoughts are 'if' I can enhance the life of the motor, why not?
It's like pay now or PAY big later.

Just my thoughts. IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.