Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: "Roaring noise"
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brooks944
Hi, my new 914 has a loud noise from the right side when going over about 30. Seems to quiet on a right hand turn. Any ideas on what the problem might be? The PO said it might be an exhaust leak, but that's not it.

Thanks,
Rick
ThePaintedMan
Wheel bearing.
Michael N
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ May 11 2014, 12:38 PM) *

Wheel bearing.

agree.gif I had the same issue. Growled when turning one direction. New rear bearings solved the issue.
r_towle
Or CV joint...

ClayPerrine
QUOTE(brooks944 @ May 11 2014, 03:21 PM) *

Hi, my new 914 has a loud noise from the right side when going over about 30. Seems to quiet on a right hand turn. Any ideas on what the problem might be? The PO said it might be an exhaust leak, but that's not it.

Thanks,
Rick

RH rear wheel bearing. Replace both as the other one is now suspect.

JawjaPorsche
Agreed! Rear wheel bearing. Mine made the same noise after 30.
Porsche930dude
before you install it always pull the rubber seal and pack it with greese because they barely put a tiny smear in the sealed bearings these days so they only last 3 or 4 years if you dont put more greese in. this goes for all brands of bearings and cars
Larmo63
On this same subject, where is the recommended for these parts?

Fronts and rears + seals?
bdstone914
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ May 11 2014, 05:26 PM) *

On this same subject, where is the recommended for these parts?

Fronts and rears + seals?

Pelican has them get the rears that are the FAG bearings made in Slovakia which are half the price of the German made bearings. Fronts are easy. Rears take the right tools to remove the hubs and bearings.

If the fronts are not making noise I would leave them alone.
Rears are at least a half day job to pull the axles, hubs and bearings. I have the tools to do it without damaging the hubs.

Bruce
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.