Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How in the H**L do you remove those sleeves for the rear trailing arm?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
housepumpinpc
Look guys, I've been working on motor driven stuff my whole life(6 yrs old). This 914 of mine(72 1.7l with original D-jet) has been the hardest cookie I've ever had to crack. I bought some sleeves from Tangerine Racing(Racer Chris) to repair the broken bolts when you remove the rear trailing arm(s). Can't see how to get a drill to cut out the old one. HELP!!! chair.gif

Here are some pictures of the carnage.Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Qarl
QUOTE(housepumpinpc @ May 11 2014, 04:55 PM) *

Look guys, I've been working on motor driven stuff my whole life(6 yrs old). This 914 of mine(72 1.7l with original D-jet) has been the hardest cookie I've ever had to crack. I bought some sleeves from Tangerine Racing(Racer Chris) to repair the broken bolts when you remove the rear trailing arm(s). Can't see how to get a drill to cut out the old one. HELP!!! chair.gif

Here are some pictures of the carnage.Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

From the Tangerine site...

The rear outer suspension consoles each have three of these. Our piece is an accurate repro of the factory component. This sleeve makes a quality repair possible if you are unable to repair the threads after breaking a bolt. A 7/8" hole saw will cut through the top weld on the console making it easy to remove the old sleeve.
housepumpinpc
QUOTE(Qarl @ May 11 2014, 04:08 PM) *

QUOTE(housepumpinpc @ May 11 2014, 04:55 PM) *

From the Tangerine site...

The rear outer suspension consoles each have three of these. Our piece is an accurate repro of the factory component. This sleeve makes a quality repair possible if you are unable to repair the threads after breaking a bolt. A 7/8" hole saw will cut through the top weld on the console making it easy to remove the old sleeve.

Get a right angle drill? Can't fit a normal one in that spot.
r_towle
Cut off wheel on a die grinder.
Hole saw from below.
bulitt
Those are rear suspension console sleeves. And as you have found out, they suck.
You will need to drill the sleeves out with hole saws from bottom and top as they are welded in, or grind the top as suggested.

Then purchase new sleeves from tangerine racing and weld them in. Best check the condition of the consoles first. would hate to see you do all the work and the consoles are toast.

Heres a pic of the inside courtesy of ScottyB so you can see what you are drilling.

IPB Image
housepumpinpc
Thanks fellas. The body where the sleeves reside looks solid. I'll post pics on my approach. Found only one mention on this site, may help the next cat.I'll tackle it in the am(when I get off work). smile.gif
r_towle
Don't make the hole bigger than the outside diameter of the replacement pieces you bought from Chris.
housepumpinpc
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 11 2014, 08:05 PM) *

Don't make the hole bigger than the outside diameter of the replacement pieces you bought from Chris.

Gotcha. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.