Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to remove odd ignition switch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
eyesright
This is an early steering column--'70 -- with an oddball ignition switch. It has a VW logo and the key positions are marked LIG. PARTIDA TRAVA DESL. The key is not a Porsche key. I wonder if it might be for a Mexican or Brazilian Bug...? (Stupid DAPO!!!)

Anyway, I have power to the column but it doesn't get past the switch. And I want to replace the whole cylinder anyway to use a Porsche key. When I first got the car I pulled the engine right away. I didn't test the lights and switches at the time except for starting and running it a bit. It was a -6 conversion that ran like KRAP.

I can only get two positions with the key but the wheel locks and unlocks. And I have no idea how to get that key cylinder and switch out. Can anybody help? (Haynes sure isn't any help on this one.)
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
914Sixer
Not OEM for sure. I can't remember how the early switch pulls out.
housepumpinpc
QUOTE(eyesright @ May 11 2014, 07:11 PM) *

This is an early steering column--'70 -- with an oddball ignition switch. It has a VW logo and the key positions are marked LIG. PARTIDA TRAVA DESL. The key is not a Porsche key. I wonder if it might be for a Mexican or Brazilian Bug...? (Stupid DAPO!!!)

Anyway, I have power to the column but it doesn't get past the switch. And I want to replace the whole cylinder anyway to use a Porsche key. When I first got the car I pulled the engine right away. I didn't test the lights and switches at the time except for starting and running it a bit. It was a -6 conversion that ran like KRAP.

I can only get two positions with the key but the wheel locks and unlocks. And I have no idea how to get that key cylinder and switch out. Can anybody help? (Haynes sure isn't any help on this one.)

Looking at it have you tried turning the ignition with the key installed and pull on the key? Some other cars i dealt with have a pin release that you depress with the key in the just before you crank position. Now if you don't have a key...drill baby drill. smile.gif
partwerks
QUOTE(eyesright @ May 11 2014, 04:11 PM) *

See if any of this info will help.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...tion_switch.htm
eyesright
Thanks for the info everybody. I've been twisting and pulling all afternoon. The Pelican article gives me the warm fuzzies so I'll just keep trying. Surely there are more than two positions and this is the wrong key...STUPID DAPO!!!.

If all else fails I'll get out a big drill...This sucker won't get the best of me!
Bob L.
Did you unplug it from behind first? Seems obvious but it hung me up for a little bit. Can you feel that it is wiggling or does it feel locked in solid?
bdstone914
The 70 ignition switch had a 12 pin connector at the bottom like is on the relay board. You either have to cut the wires or unsolder the pins. Replacement switches are hard to find. I think VW beetles of the same year had the same switch. You will probably have to remove the whole column to have access to fix it.
bdstone914
Oops
Dup post
eyesright
I figured I just didn't know the secret handshake. So with the PP article and the drill suggestion I got out my weapon of cylinder destruction and you can see the results. In my mind I was drilling thru the DAPO's hand to get to the cylinder.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

This '70 is different than the later versions--it doesn't plug in from the back. You can see the tiny holding screw on one side...
Click to view attachment

...and I guess I have to get the switch out from the other side.
Click to view attachment

And I still need to get the rest of the cylinder out. I'll get back after it tomorrow but if anybody knows these early ones and can point me in the right direction to finish the job, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
913B
There is a small slotted set screw on the side of the cylinder towards the bottom of the cylinder. Unscrew that and then the lower electrical portion with wiring can be separated from the cylinder
bdstone914
Remove the set screw that holds in the lower electrical part.
I think I can see it in the picture.
Replacement switches are hard to find. I think VW beetles of the same year had the same switch.
The Pelican article does not apply to the 70-71 cars.
hndyhrr
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ May 11 2014, 08:14 PM) *

Remove the set screw that holds in the lower electrical part.
I think I can see it in the picture.
Replacement switches are hard to find. I think VW beetles of the same year had the same switch.
The Pelican article does not apply to the 70-71 cars.

I had to replace the whole thing thanks to the po. hard wired switches are hard to find. called easy porsche parts in Emeryville, ca had one. i re keyed it and works great. Had to take the whole thing off steering column to get it done.
Mike Bellis
Maybe someone should have told you the 70-71 switches were NLA before you destroyed it? confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.