Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil drop on engine tin
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ericoneal
I'm planning to really start tackling some of my oil leaks tomorrow. I was under there tonight and the pushrod tubes are leaking (used the crappy seals when I changed them over the winter), along with the taco plate (I have one, easy fix).
What is bothering me is that there are drop of oil on the head fins and oil tins under them on both sides of the car. Its not in a place where oil would blowback from the pushrod tube seals, and my head vent hoses up top are not leaking either.
Can you guys tell me where the source of oil for a leak like this could be? Cant find anything in the search.

Thanks
Bob L.
I had some oil leaking from the valve cover on the passenger side that got blown up with the cooling air. it also looked like is was coming from a push rod tube but it wasn't.
ericoneal
Maybe your're right. If was something more serious, it probably would be happening on both sides of the engine. But I know the pushrod tubes are leaking on both sides.
boxsterfan
I recently replaced my oil pressure sending unit up top ($16 @ Pelican). Prior to replacement, my car was leaking (or using) oil quite a bit. I was having to put in 1/2 quart every couple weeks or so.

Now, I haven't added any oil in 3+ weeks and the dipstick has stayed steady. I would often see oil on those wind guide trays underneath (74 2.0L). I am probably leaking oil elsewhere (pushrod tubes, couple drops now and then around the taco plate, etc....) but it is small enough that it is not bothering me.

Have you replaced oil pressure sending unit?
walterolin
Hi Eric,

If you want, I could come over later this week and take a look. Or you could come visit and see my work in progress.

Olin
ericoneal
Hey Walter,
That would be great, would like to see your car sometime.
I'm pulling the pusrod tubes off tonight, and probably also the tin above them to inspect a bit further.
stugray
I'm pulling the pusrod tubes off tonight, and probably also the tin above them to inspect a bit further.

Dont forget to put that tin back in before the pushrods....
Because that never happens :-)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.