Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB: 914/6 engine tins
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
naro914
There was a group buy a couple years ago for 914/6 sheet metal and I know I bought a set. I THINK I used it on Papa Smurfs rebuild, but now with Huey's engine out, and seeing how crappy the metal is (and non-matching) I thought it might be nice to get new sheet metal.

I did a quick search, but didn't find anything...other than the AA's and PMS of the world...where/who else has them?

Thanks!!
bdstone914
I got a set from GPR German Parts ans Restoration.
I think he supplies AA. Saves you money and dealing with AA.
He has banner ads in this site.
SirAndy
QUOTE(naro914 @ May 12 2014, 07:36 AM) *
other than the AA's and PMS of the world...

I bought the PMS tin for my conversion and the quality was rather poor. Especially since they charge a premium. I expected better.
dry.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...st&p=904651
BKLA
Rich Johnson made mine. I believe that he still does... PM me for contact info...
wndsnd
agree.gif

I think Richard Johnson is the way to go.,

John
McMark
IMHO, get fiberglass and just remove the side tins when dropping the engine. Better fit, though still not as good as OE, but they look much better than the repro-metal ones.
naro914
Mark
Really? buddy of mine has fiberglass...one time out and they shattered and don't really fit well at all....he said he might want mine that don't match up well...better than his.

I really wish I could remember where we had a group buy years ago....the ones I got were perfect. Unfortunately, we had to hack them up a bit for Papa Smurf (to fit by the raised suspension point mounts and such). i had thought about just swapping them since both cars have their engines out, but I realized all the fitting we did for Papa which won't look good for Huey. Plus, I drilled a big hole on each side to run the twin plug wires through on those too...

I started thinking today....with all the intake stuff with the 3.2 engine, you really can't see much of the rear engine tins anyway - that's where it's a bit messed up. I may just keep what I have on Huey...sandblast them, maybe powder coat it and call it a day...
mepstein
Rich johnson - A914guy@aol.com
John
I made mine. They are not difficult to make if you can cut and weld sheet metal. There were patterns drawn out on yellow folders that were once shared. They really aren't too difficult. The most difficult to create pieces are the two rears. I have made them and I have started with the 911 pieces and each has it's own set of challenges.

I also made several sets 8-10 years ago, but simply don't currently have the time to make them any longer.

Brian_Boss
The group buy that was offered about 4 years ago was our (GPR's) tin. We supply Patrick, Pelican and a couple other places.

Ours is completely fabricated from sheet (not pieces from 911 and 914 tin) and does not have the raised areas in the side pieces like the factory tin so it is cosmetically different. I feel like it's a quality product but anyone who has been disappointed please let me know so we can try to make improvements.

Brian
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brian_Boss @ May 13 2014, 01:36 PM) *
We supply Patrick

Brian, if that is the case, please read my feedback about the tin here:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...mp;#entry904651

Granted, this was 5 years ago and some of my comments back then may be obsolete by now ...
smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.