Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hello from the frozen wilds
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ClayPerrine
It's a balmy -15 here, and this morning we are off to Lawrence's garage to put the carbs back on his /6 and adjust the valves.

Yoder and I drove up yesterday, and Ginter met us here.

We spend the evening last night drinking, rebuilding carbs in his apartment and watching the Sopranos. Yoder is now hooked on it.

BTW... a dead bug in your Weber carb does not make for good running......... IPB Image

Gotta go.. Lawrence is cooking breakfast. IPB Image
TheCabinetmaker
You guys seen your emalis about MUSR?
URY914
Damn, -15!!!

Seven of us are going sailing today on a friends (big) boat. Spending the night, acting like pirates! AAARRRR!!! IPB Image

Paul
Joe Bob
Getting ready to go mow the lawn.....polish the 911 and do a whine and cheese run in the whiney country.... IPB Image

Oh yeah....is Ginter wearing his panty hose for warmth? He gets cold so easy.....
Katmanken
Akkkk!

That's rough! Kansas is flat country.

I lived in Salina for 3 years as a kid and can testify there isn't anything to stop the wind....

Except mebbe a wire fence somewhere in South Dakota..... IPB Image

Ken
dennisc
The light bulb just went off. "Rusty's Last Chance Saloon" in Manhatten? IPB Image
seanery
we need a "How heat exchangers work" from yoder...
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE (kwales @ Jan 15 2005, 07:22 AM)
Kansas is flat country

Yea, I sold some parts to a guy out there. I remember him saying "I love my 914, there's this one curve on the way home", probably one of six within 80 miles! IPB Image

Poor guy should ride with me to the post office, or to the golf course, or to the sitters....
ClayPerrine
Hey Zois...

I just told Ginter about your comment about the panty hose. He says he is wearing YOUR panty hose to keep warm...

IPB Image
Joe Bob
Tell him to watch out for the skids marks....
Gint
QUOTE (mikez Posted on Jan 15 2005 @ 07:23 PM)

IPB Image

That's a given. IPB Image

XOXOX! IPB Image

QUOTE (mikez Posted on Jan 15 2005 @ 07:23 PM)
rick 918-S
How's it coming guys? IPB Image
ClayPerrine
Update... 06:00 Sunday.

Yesterday we got the car back together and tried firing it up. We had a bit of a problem with the turbo valve cover on the left bottom getting it back on the engine, and in the process of transporting the carbs from Rusty's apartment to the garage a bowl drain plug got broken. FYI- the bolt is a 7mm x1.0 thread, 10mm long.

We almost got it running, but the battery went dead. We went a bought a charger, took it back adn hooked it up, then called it a night.

BTW.... you know how they are on the board. Well they are really like that in person. We went to the hardware store looking for springs for the accellerator pumps (seems the DACO left one out the last time the carbs were done), and the clerk told us that we were the funniest group to come in all day. IPB Image

But it's too F-ing cold here!!!!!!!
ClayPerrine
Got it fired up!!!

We changed the plugs and the car fired right up. It ran OK, but it seemed to miss. So we started checking, and we had one bad plug wire. The plug would fire, but with a weak spark and it would foul out.

We bought wires for a SBC chevy locally and changed the ends for the /6 ends. Changed the coil in the process, and it runs great over 1500 RPMs. We can't get it warmed up enough to set the idle mixture and idle carb balance.

We are back at Rusty's. Gint left shortly after we fired the car. Joe and I are leaving right after lunch.

It's been a good weekend. I don't think Rusty will be taking a hammer to his car now...... IPB Image
hi ho silber
Sounds like a successful intervention IPB Image

Where are all the pictures?

Thanks again for stepping up and saving this car from the big hammer IPB Image

Dave
ClayPerrine
What pictures?????

We were way to busy to take pictures...
J P Stein
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Jan 16 2005, 11:11 AM)
What pictures?????

We were way to busy to take pictures...

Whatdaya mean, no pics?

There's 4 of ya, 2 with their asses in the air workin' on the motor......what were the other 2 doing?.....nevermind, I don't wanna know IPB Image
Rusty
Yep... thanks to Clay and Gint and Joe for coming by.

Unlimited beer, steaks and brats on the grill, Soprano's on TV... a good weekend.

Looks like my frustration with the car wasn't really due to the valves. They weren't too far off, and my overall method was pretty sound. Right now, it's just too damned cold (even with propane heat in the garage) to get the car warm enough to finally finish off carb adjustments.

Clay was right about the carbs being a bit buggy. Somehow there was a ladybug in one the float bowls. A full rebuild on the carbs really helped out, and the old plugs were fouled a little bit. Considering it is so cold, the /6 didn't want to start with them.

the only thing we really didn't get done was replacing the oil lines. But that's a project for another day, I think. It's not an emergency, and I can do that at the next oil change.

Yep, we were pretty busy to take pictures (that, and I think the camera would freeze!) OTOH, Gint makes an excellent little toolwench. IPB Image

-Lawrence
Gint
I shoulda spent 5 minutes and just bled that fuckin clutch right there on the Manhattan KS. ice. That's what I ended up doing in my driveway anyway (except for the ice part, much warmer here IPB Image) . Gawdammm cold plastic hose. I need to shower after the brake fluid shower I just had.

Thoughly enjoyed myself this weekend Rusty. Thanks.

And MicroClay, love ya man. I WAS just havin fun with you. I hope you know that; I just wanted to make certain. You're one of the finest people I know.

Clay was right about the carbs being a bit buggy.

That's why it's called debugging. IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.