Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Questions...having alternator belt and starter issues
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
crash914
Hi all...

Anyone else have any problem keeping the alternator belt on a hi po 4 cylinder?

Whenever I get up to around 6500 to 7000 rpm, the belt flies off....I keep putting it back on, but I can't keep having this problem...What is everyone using for their high reving type 4's.

2nd question. Anyone else having problems with the high torque IMI starters? I have to use 2 batteries to crank this thing over...I did go out and get the newest largest battery I could find (it is in the front trunk). I think that the solenoid might be sticking...this has been off the road for 8 years if that matters...sometimes it seems that the solenoid doesn't release...then a clunk when I turn off the key...

thoughts? other than using bus pistons....motor is 103 by 80 with around 10:1 compression....
edwin
There is adjustment for the alternator where it pivots. This can move forward and back to match the crank pulley
Having the battery in the front will open a bunch of areas for electrical problems. Need to be certain the cable that runs to the back is of high quality and that your grounds are really really good, I don't just meant clean here but solid and conduct well
crash914
I will have to check the alternator alignment...

I don't have any voltage drop to the starter...I did check all my connections with my fluke....less than 2 mv all the way back...I still think the starter is flakey... I might put a stock one back in to try..
edwin
Did you check the drop when cranking or static? Need to test at the starter while cranking.
Mike Bellis
Many times if the belt is too tight, it will fly off at high rpm. Try to loosen it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.