Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speedo angle drive, do they go bad?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
After replacing my broken speedo cable (torn in half) my speedo still wasn't working.
So i disconnected it at the angle drive and used a drill to drive the cable and the speedo worked just fine.

I then tried to turn the angle drive spade by hand and i was able to turn it while it was making a crunchy sounds.
I don't think i'm supposed to be able to turn this by hand. Anyone know for sure?
idea.gif

PS: Can i replace this with the oil in the transmission? What if i get the car at an steep angle, would it still leak?
Bob L.
There's an inner drive and then the outer "angle drive" My angle drive went bad and I replaced it. No fluid worries. Fine now. Probably your problem.
Jeffs9146
I have had one go bad...many years ago!

As long as you put the new one in quick you should be fine! Yes some fluid will come out if you are parked at an angle and let it sit that way for a day, if you do it quickly it is not a problem!
bdstone914
If you need a good used one I have one for you at no charge.
Bruce
McMark
It's dead. I'll replace it at WCR. wink.gif
Bob L.
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ May 12 2014, 11:11 PM) *

I have had one go bad...many years ago!

As long as you put the new one in quick you should be fine! Yes some fluid will come out if you are parked at an angle and let it sit that way for a day, if you do it quickly it is not a problem!

The inner drive will leak if removed or if the seal goes bad. McMark has modified them to seal better. You can remove the angle drive without a leak. At least mine didn't.
SirAndy
Thanks everyone, that's what i thought. It's toast ...

QUOTE(McMark @ May 12 2014, 09:20 PM) *
It's dead. I'll replace it at WCR. wink.gif

smilie_pokal.gif
balljoint
I saw an angle that had been drilled clean through by the gears grinding over what was probably a long period of time.
Red-Beard
Make sure that the inner pinion is still in good shape. And the 914 and 914-6 units are different.
bcsellie
Hey, Blaine again.

Do you still have a good/working speedo angle drive? BTW, thanks for the trigger points...

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ May 12 2014, 09:17 PM) *

If you need a good used one I have one for you at no charge.
Bruce

Matty900
Ian just did an awesome video on McMark's improved speedo angle drive.
https://youtu.be/mfxcpw0YOsc
beerchug.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(Red-Beard @ May 17 2014, 08:14 AM) *

Make sure that the inner pinion is still in good shape. And the 914 and 914-6 units are different.

Andy's car is a conversion from memory.
Mikey914
@matty900 The reference was the "angle" drive and yes they can fail.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.