Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ? Better alternator
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jwalters
IPB Image Hi guys, has anyone here modified a better alternator to take the place of the stock meager one? I would like to go with an internal regulated one wire model--or any other model which puts out more amperage.

Thanks in advance- IPB Image
Allan
How about this?

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...=ST&f=4&t=13777
jwalters
IPB Image Thanks there Rage---I did a search but that particular thread did not appear for me--sometimes the search goes a little crazy and I get hundreds of stuff--seriously not enough time to go thru them............ IPB Image
lapuwali
Look in the vendor section for davep. He has the stock unit rewound to put out more current.
Dave_Darling
I believe that Griznant from the shoptalkforums BBS modified the drive shaft on a GM "one-wire" alternator to accept the stock 914 pulley. (Turned it down on a lathe.) He then bolted it right up to the 914 motor in his 912 (stock cooling, not an "upright" conversion). No provision for getting cooling air into the alternator housing like the stock one has, so durability may be an issue.

...Or may not, time will tell!

--DD
Mark Henry
Davep bumps the stocker up to 75amp which should be plenty. Stock is 55amps.
He's a real good guy.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Dave_Darling @ Jan 15 2005, 11:05 AM)
I believe that Griznant from the shoptalkforums BBS modified the drive shaft on a GM "one-wire" alternator to accept the stock 914 pulley. (Turned it down on a lathe.) He then bolted it right up to the 914 motor in his 912 (stock cooling, not an "upright" conversion). No provision for getting cooling air into the alternator housing like the stock one has, so durability may be an issue.

...Or may not, time will tell!

--DD

gm alternators have a fan behind the pully that blows air into them....

problen solved
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.