Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hot Spark Electronic Ign Never Adjust Timing Again.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bandjoey
Been using Hot Spark Electronic Ign for past couple of years and very happy. Doing some maintenance and looked up the web site to see if there was anything I forgot since installation, and see this:

"Replace Points and Condenser with Zero-Maintenance Electronic Ignition
Set It and Forget It - Never Adjust Points or Timing Again! "

I know no dwell or points to adjust but timing? Is this right? Never wrestle with the timing light again?

Anyone else verify of debunk this?
cwpeden
Easy to test. Just turn your distributor 30 degrees in either direction and see what happens....? Somehow I dont think it will work out.
stugray
I think they mean that the timing is less likely to drift.

I would think that as the cam follower on standard points wear out (and you have to keep resetting the gap) that the timing might shift a little.

With the magnetic or optical pickups, there are no parts to wear.
scott_in_nh
I haven't rechecked my timing or touched the distributor in over 2.5 years and 18,000 miles and the car still starts and runs great! driving.gif
Bartlett 914
The timing shouldn't change. As points wear there will be dwell drift and this may cause some timing drift. The Pertronix and hot spark do not wear and neither timing or dwell should drift. I have been using Hot Spark for years without any problems.
euro911
agree.gif ... as long as you don't move the dizzy, the timing shouldn't change (with an electronic system).
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ May 14 2014, 01:03 PM) *

The timing shouldn't change. As points wear there will be dwell drift and this may cause some timing drift. The Pertronix and hot spark do not wear and neither timing or dwell should drift. I have been using Hot Spark for years without any problems.

Points wear from the contacts burning and the heat generated. If you used points as just a trigger, say with an MSD, they likely will never wear out or change.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.