Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Paint or Powder Coat?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mrholland2
Hey Guys,

I'm going with sport steelies as I redo my car.

Whatcha think: Paint (body shop paint, not rattle can) or powdercoat?

Thanks

Sean
smveril
I had the steelies on my bus powder coated. 5 years later they still look great.
dan_the _body_guy
powder coat will hold up much better than paint i dont think its much of a choice if you have powder coating as a option
mrholland2
What should it cost, considering they are in awesome condition?
rdomeck
Powder coating goes on much thicker than paint. This makes it chip easier. The color selection is getting better with powder coating, but still light years away from paint selection. It's also harder to touch up powder coating than it is paint unless you have paint the exact color as the powder. I sprayed about 500 gallons of urethane paint last year. I wish I could have powder coated the stuff I was painting, but it wasn't close to being an option for us.

Powder coating has it's place, but my opinion is that not so much on old cars. It is however cheaper and easier than paint!
orthobiz
My steel wheels were powder coated and the crevice in the outer part of the rim became fouled with thick material that was unremovable. Eventually painted but if you look carefully, you can see where some crud got into the groove between the flatter face of the wheel and the outer take-off of the rim. I personally would recommend paint even if you may have to redo it sooner than powder. Unless the coating can be done perfectly, I'm sure it's a matter of who does it and maybe even a little bit of luck.

Paul
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(mrholland2 @ May 14 2014, 04:23 PM) *

In San Mateo, CA you can get a per rim price of $75/ smile.gif
mrholland2
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ May 14 2014, 06:29 PM) *

QUOTE(mrholland2 @ May 14 2014, 04:23 PM) *

In San Mateo, CA you can get a per rim price of $75/ smile.gif

and that's LESS than paint? really?? Holy crap
dan_the _body_guy
powder coating is just that, its electrically charged powder that is sprayed on the part then baked at intense temps. for that reason the finish is perfectly smooth, it doesnt just chip off in most cases if for any reason it needs to be redone they burn it off then sandblast the remains and start over. but like anything theres good and bad work out there.

heres a link if you want to see how its done
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gphNFmAcOF8
MoveQik
I had my last set of Boxster wheels power coated and they looked amazing. Here in AZ I paid $35 per wheel. I used the same shop that Patrick Motorsports uses and their work is flawless and prices are even better.
Larmo63
I sprayed some 356 wheels with dull silver spray cans on the side of my house and they came out awesome. I like PC on wheels for the durability, but on a vintage Porsche, maybe not.......?
Larmo63
I sprayed some 356 wheels with dull silver spray cans on the side of my house and they came out awesome. I like PC on wheels for the durability, but on a vintage Porsche, maybe not.......?
CptTripps
Here's my list...from experience of powder-coating everything, and wishing I'd Rattle-Can'd certain parts.

Wheels: PC
Front Suspension Parts: RC
Rear Suspension Parts: PC
Engine Tins/cradle: PC
Brakes : PC
Brake Dust Covers: RC
green914
Powder Coat! piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif
ripper911
Plasti-dip? poke.gif
mrholland2
I think powder coat is my answer. . now where in San Jose is good and economical for a cheap ass bastard like me? smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.