Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brake upgrade recommendations for 914-6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dmilzoff
I'm not sure what I have on my 914-6 but do know that the front and rear brake pads are the same (S calipers? if I remember from the last pad change).
The one time that I tracked the car, I lost brakes.
What is the best choice for upgrading? Since I want to keep the car street legal, should the proportioning valve also be changed? - to what?
brant
pads and fluid...
maybe an adjustable valve.

ossining huh...
my mother-in-law lives in croton and we visit ossining every year.
dmilzoff
Brant
Actually, the problem may have been poorly bled calipers or sticking rear calipers (I'm smarter now). But if the problems happens again, it will definitely be time for an upgrade. Loosing brakes on the track is down right scary. I'm trying to plan ahead.

BTW, I actually live in Croton-On-Hudson but have the Ossining address.
brant
What by in Croton.

My wife's family lives right by tea-town.
In fact I'm going there in 2 weeks...

small world.

regarding the brakes... It will make a ton of difference to just use good fluid (I prefer ATE super blue) and put good track pads in.

you can change the pads in and out for events if you want and the whole upgrade will cost you 200 bucks but give you 85% of the improvement that people get from big brakes...

If your running real serious wheel to wheel you might need more but for DE and your average track days that is adequate.

what track around there?
dmilzoff
I do DEs at Lime Rock (CT) and Pocono (PA). I've been using my 996TT but am getting more nervous about using that car. What pads would you recommend (preferrably that would still be somewhat suitable for street).

My house backs up against TeaTown. E-mail me if you want a ride in a nice 996TT when you come to New York (weather permitting). My 914-6 is forever at my mechanic's shop.
dmilzoff@usa.net
brant
Heck ya.. I'd love a ride.
I've never been in a TT996 (only the 993)...
what a thrill and what a nice offer...
even if the weather is bad I would love to see the car.
I heard you guys had a bad fog thursday night... hopefully the weekend warms up and you can enjoy it.

I'll send you a PM.

for a combo pad, you can't go wrong with the portefield RS-4.
I think they make both front and rears in the S(treet) version.
and with the fresh fluid you will no doubt notice a big difference over an original factory compound pad...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.