Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gear Shift Knob
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lsintampa
I have a old leather covered wooden gear shift knob and the bushing (pressure fit) has come out of it.

I'm going to epoxy the bushing back in, but was wondering if that pressure fit bushing needs to be "oriented" in any particular direction.

IE - is it tapered?

Thanks,

Len
Mblizzard
Should just be a crush washer. Post a picture of what you are calling a bushing. Epoxy is one way to fix it but if it is truly a crush washer then then I would not epoxy that on to the shifter.
VaccaRabite
if the crush ring no longer holds the knob you have a few options:
1) buy a new crush ring. ~$8 at Automotion or the other usual places.

2) toss the old ring and use paper or felt. You might be surprised how well this works. Fold a piece of computer paper on itself so it is 2 or 3 layers thick, 15mm wide, and about 2 inches long. Center it on the top of the shifter and tap the knob down over the paper. EASY! If too thick, unfold. If not thick enough, add a fold.

3) glue. You WILL eventually regret this one, but it works in a pinch.

Zach
Cap'n Krusty
There was no crush ring on the leather knobs, which were aftermarket. Most had a sleeve of some kind inside the wood which formed the knob under the leather. Most had a lock screw anchored in that insert.

The Cap'n
lsintampa
Here are two pictures of the bushing / and shift knob. The bushing is flipped from one photo to the next.

The bushing needs to be epoxied back into the knob and I was wondering about orientation of the bushing - or if it even matters.

I can test fit just the bushing - I suppose and see.

I'm not intending on epoxying the thing on the shaft, just inside the knob.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.