Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: boxing rear trailing arms
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pete-stevers
i would like to know if box welding the trailing arms is very important for stiffness??? IPB Image Do I need to weld it up for a reg road car? or should i just leave them? What is the difference?
would replacing the rubber bushings be a more cost evective performance mod?? IPB Image
d914
for a road car no problem, don't need to, in fact if done wrong can warp the the arm. Some debate on wheather or not race cars need it. Better to reinforce the suspension ear than the arm.........possible chop stick info here, add all legal quaifiers on opinions.... IPB Image
Dave_Darling
IMHO, boxing the trailing arms is not worth it on a street car. (Unless your "street car" is something really exceptional, then maybe...) Not worth it on most race cars either.

Replacing the rubber bushings with new ones == replacing the trailing arm with a new one. They're not available separately. There are aftermarket plastic ones available, but they're a pain to install properly, and they tend to squeak in a maddening fashion.

--DD
pete-stevers
don't mind chopsticks, IPB Image just don't want to make stir-fry out of perfectly good trailing arms, plus the liability factor of welding them up for the street...
thanks
steve IPB Image
SirAndy
QUOTE (Dave_Darling @ Jan 15 2005, 12:27 PM)
Not worth it on most race cars either.

IPB Image ...

biggest problem with boxing the arms, if you hit something hard enough to bend the (unboxed) arm, just imagine what that impact will do to your chassis if the arm is boxed.
the impact force has to go somewhere, and i rather replace a bent trailing arm then start cutting into my tub trying to get it back straight ...

IPB Image Andy
pete-stevers
Good call! i never thought about bending the chassis!! I am running boxed on my car. IPB Image think the guy who did the work shafted me IPB Image took me three months of chasing around to get them done, IPB Image he was to busy building horse-carriages
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.