Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: vapor lock or something else?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
hndyhrr
Took the pumpkin (she's a 70) to the DMV and got legal yesterday. It was about 95 degrees out side here in southern oregon yesterday. The DMV is about 5 miles from home. When i got in her to go home(20 mins) later she was hard to start and when started the idle was about zip had to keep foot on gas when we came to stop in the road. Soooooo. got to gas station put some gas in her and tried to start her up and she would turn over but not start. hummmmm i says to self must be vapor lock so we sat for awhile in the shade and tried again in about 15 or 20 mins. started up and we got home. the strange thing was the idle, when she was first started idled a little high and after 5 miles the idle just went right down to zip nada nothing with foot off gas. my question is can vapor lock happen this fast? fuel pump and filter are in engine compartment but i suppose i will have to move them to the front. sad.gif is there something else i should look at? My last 70 914 did vapor lock but not for a very very long time on the road. oh also have driven her around before this and no problem of course temp. out side was the 60's. any ideas suggestion would be appreciated. thanks

Renee
76-914
Sounds like it. Drive it some more and you'll know for sure.
r_towle
not vapor lock.
Ask the Cap'n

I would look at the ground connections for cleanlyness.
I would look at the distributor advance plates for being lubed and clean. Those get tight when hot, and wont return to the retarded position...which means you cant start it.

I would look at the TPS for proper settings
I would test and verify the CHT.

Rich
hndyhrr
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 15 2014, 05:15 PM) *

not vapor lock.
Ask the Cap'n

I would look at the ground connections for cleanlyness.
I would look at the distributor advance plates for being lubed and clean. Those get tight when hot, and wont return to the retarded position...which means you cant start it.

I would look at the TPS for proper settings
I would test and verify the CHT.

Rich

Cht?
Kirmizi
Cylinder Head Temperature biggrin.gif
hndyhrr
QUOTE(Kirmizi @ May 15 2014, 07:09 PM) *

Cylinder Head Temperature biggrin.gif

Daaa. Thanks
smveril
I had vapor lock because my fuel pressure regulator was leaking internally and did not control fuel pressure. I replaced it and had no more issues.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.