Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Accelerator Cable attachment at pedal cluster
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim_hoyland
I was cleaning up the pedal cluster area and I knocked off the accelerator cable socket. I pushed it back on, but heard no snap. Soon as I touched the cable again the socket came off the ball. I've only been able to press the socket onto the ball with my fingers. Is the socket supposed to have a liner inside ? Any tricks to keep this on ?
Bob L.
There is a plastic/nylon insert. I think it's white-ish. There should be a good firm snap when it seats.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Bob L. @ May 15 2014, 04:28 PM) *

There is a plastic/nylon insert. I think it's white-ish. There should be a good firm snap when it seats.

Thanks. That's what I thought. Where can I get the replacement ?
dangrouche
I've never had any plastic liner in that ball socket you have pictured. I have always just dabbed some lithium white grease in that socket when I changed out the cable.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(dangrouche @ May 16 2014, 07:49 AM) *

I've never had any plastic liner in that ball socket you have pictured. I have always just dabbed some lithium white grease in that socket when I changed out the cable.

Agreed. No liner, just a snap ring.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(dangrouche @ May 16 2014, 07:49 AM) *

A little lubricant, as mentioned above, is not a bad idea. The snap ring is visible in the picture.

The Cap'n
ThePaintedMan
Yeah, look to see if the snap ring is missing.
stugray
Last time I tried to put mine back on I had the exact same issue.

Turns out it was just packed full of crap (picked up from the tunnel from fumbling it a bit) and wasnt seating all the way down.
I cleaned it out and it was normal again.
Bob L.
Oops, sorry. I must be confusing it with something else. I haven't been right since taking a break smoke.gif
jim_hoyland
OK, the snap ring is partially intact, Bruce Store is sending a replacement, thanks Bruce smile.gif

Two new issues have arisen:

1. I released the throttle body end so I would have some slack up front. When I reattached the cable through the barrel bolt ( throttle body end) there was less wire than when I started. Where the cable used to stick out an inch passed the barrel bolt, now it.s just long enough to make a connection.

2. Next, I thought that the socket end of the cable could give me a little slack. There is a nut behind the threaded socket. Can't loosen it....tight as he'll.

Lastly, I'm pretty sure the cable isn't wrapped, the accelerator is pretty smooth. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
dangrouche
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ May 16 2014, 01:45 PM) *

OK, the snap ring is partially intact, Bruce Store is sending a replacement, thanks Bruce smile.gif

Two new issues have arisen:

1. I released the throttle body end so I would have some slack up front. When I reattached the cable through the barrel bolt ( throttle body end) there was less wire than when I started. Where the cable used to stick out an inch passed the barrel bolt, now it.s just long enough to make a connection.

2. Next, I thought that the socket end of the cable could give me a little slack. There is a nut behind the threaded socket. Can't loosen it....tight as he'll.

Lastly, I'm pretty sure the cable isn't wrapped, the accelerator is pretty smooth. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

check the cable housing where it enters the firewall. one time I had a cable that separated from ferrule where it entered the firewall. this separation of the cable housing from the ferrule effectively shortened the cable. the way to fix it is to either get a new cable entirely or remove the existing cable and try to reseat the cable into the ferrule. In the latter case the cable needs to be sort of "pretensioned" so the ferrule does not separate from the housing during the re-installation. In my case, I gave up and changed out a cable that saw less than a couple of thousand miles. Hint (get a new one if the ferrule has separated). It was not a terry cable, it was the one in an orange colored logo plastic bag.

also your routing of the cable housing should be the same as the former cable.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.