Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: how do i get the gas tank out?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
chikenfajita
i need to get the gas tank out so that i can get to the wiper motor. what is the fastest way to get it out?. i have it lose, i just dont know how to disconect the fuel lines, im not able to lift the tank up high enought to disconect them. IPB Image IPB Image
thanks
d914
remove cover from underneath... Gives you access, is it empty??
xsboost90
there is a cover by the spare that you can take off. Disconnect the fuel pump. Take the strap off the top of the tank. THen lift the tank up and disconnect the lines..i took the feed line and connected it to the return side to keep fuel from leaking too much.
Rhodes71/914
I had to remove the cover underneath the car to get at the fuel lines. Make sure that the tank is empty, or close to it.

Had to do the same thing to fix my wipers as well. Thought it was the motor but turns out the mechanism was just stuck. Cleaned that up and they work great now.

Good luck.
jr91472
this worked for me.....in case you haven't seen it.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...tank_remove.htm
McMark
They should be long enough that you can lift up the tank and get to them. I've never removed the lines by going under the car. But maybe some DAPO put some shorty fuel lines on there. When I replace those lines I make them just long enough so you can put the tank in the front trunk.
boxstr
Get a couple of blankets and put at the front hood corners near the windshield, or an assitant and remove the front trunk lid. Trust me you will be so much happier.
CCLINBTDT
Trekkor
Do this... IPB Image

KT
SirAndy
QUOTE (trekkor @ Jan 15 2005, 01:11 PM)
Do this... IPB Image

IPB Image make sure it's empty!

hint:
let the fuel pump do the work, just jumper it at the relay and let the fuel-pump pump the tank empty, the lift on pass. side and disconnect the hoses.
much easier than trying to fiddle with them from under the car through that tiny access hole ...

IPB Image Andy
balthazar
If you remove the front trunk lid, make sure you mark the position of the bolts. I learned the hard way and had to spend an hour or so getting everything lined up proper. Also, if you decide to remove the hood, make sure you have a friend to help. If not, you WILL scratch your paint (also learned the hard way!) IPB Image

Corby
seanery
a match gets the job done quickly IPB Image
mattillac
try moving your wiper arms to the passenger side while you're in there. theres a pelican article on how to do it. it's pretty easy, especially if you have the tank out already.

be very careful when you put the tank back in if you use longer than stock pickup\return lines. when i took my tank out to clean it, i pinched one of my now longer hoses when i put the tank back in = high fuel pressure. i drove myself crazy trying to find out why my fuel pressure was high.... IPB Image i wish i had just checked the lines first.

anyways, i like the wipers on the passenger side, but you'll have to bend the arms a little bit to get them to fit just right. it's nice to have them out of my line of sight while driving. IPB Image
jim912928
Also..don't forget your upward movement will be hampered by the sending unit wiring (comes in from behind). So if you haven't figured that out yet remove the overflow tank and pull the connector off for the gas tank sending unit. Then you are clear to pull it up further so you can get in from the top to disconnect the lower lines (or get them from the access hole from below...but I believe that requires removing the cover plate that goes over the steering rack and stuff.

When you reinstall the tank..make those fuel lines longer so you can lift the tank high enough to easily remove those lines.
mattillac
IPB Image i forgot about that tank ontop. i removed it also. it was kind of a pain getting that overflow tube back where it's supposed to go. it probably needed to be replaced, but i'm not really sure what hose from my local hardware store is fuel safe. but i can't say i removed the tank ontop for better access. i just removed it cause i thought there was crap in my tank, but i couldn't see it. turned out there was crap in there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.