Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I need your thoughts on head work.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bob L.
I kept having to re-torque the exhaust due to leaks, then one of the exhaust stud threads stripped out on cyl #1. I drilled it out and tried to tap it for 8mm Helicoil. The tap wouldn't grab well and now its looking like it would need to be re-drilled and tapped for a 10mm Helicoil and a step stud. headbang.gif

This happens to be the same bank where I have low compression in cylinder #2. It was 110 compared to 135 on all others (cold with other plugs in) I didn't know at the time you were supposed to do it with warm engine and plugs out. at the time. Well, you learn! At least I did.

So I'm thinking, I probably need some valve work on #2 and the Stud repair.
So, should I look for a good used head?
Should I have this one repaired? What should that cost, ballpark?
Should I get a new head?

I have looked around and the ones are pretty $$$ for me as are some used. The least expensive one i have seen is... http://vwparts.aircooled.net/CB-Performanc...b-044-heads.htm

Aside from least expensive, are they cheap? Any good? Wrong for the type 4. And could I get only one or is that just dumb?

I may be stationary for a while sad.gif

Thanks,
Bob
wndsnd
That is not a Type 4 head.

What engine do you have?

John
Bob L.
It's a 2.0 out of a '76.
stugray
With a 2.0L I would look to getting it inspected & fixed.
bdstone914
QUOTE(Bob L. @ May 15 2014, 06:08 PM) *

It's a 2.0 out of a '76.

Fix it with a helicoli and or step stud as needed.

The compression is not that bad that you need to do a valve job.

If you have to pull the one head to fix it you should pull the other and have them both refreshed. It is a good idea to replace the sodium exhaust valves which get brittle and can break.
Don't just do one head. You will have higher compression on that head than the other.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.