Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: how does the advance on the Distributor work?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jmargush
Does anyone know how the vacuum diaphragm on the distributor works?
One side is to retard the timing correct?

does the other side advance it as the vacuum drops or changes?

Should I have noticeable vacuum on that hose when I pull it of the diaphragm?
Mblizzard
See post 18 in this thread.

From the Cap'n so it is spot on. Best explain agin I have seen.

type47
My only problem with the Cap'ns explanation is that the same size ports on the throttle body are connected. I followed his direction and connected the same size ports and that means I have no vacuum advance, only vacuum retard. I went with the expert but still wonder....
jmargush
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ May 16 2014, 02:13 PM) *

See post 18 in this thread.

From the Cap'n so it is spot on. Best explain agin I have seen.

His post makes sense as to what I am seeing.
Mblizzard
QUOTE(type47 @ May 16 2014, 01:34 PM) *

My only problem with the Cap'ns explanation is that the same size ports on the throttle body are connected. I followed his direction and connected the same size ports and that means I have no vacuum advance, only vacuum retard. I went with the expert but still wonder....

I did too but it seems to work.
Dave_Darling
The 74 cars, and some later ones, do not have vacuum advance. They have the fitting on the distributor dashpot, but not the one on the throttle body. So there's a good chance the setup that puzzles you is the stock setup.

--DD
Bob L.
As I see it, you will get less total advance but end up at the right spot in the end. You start out with a bit more advance at lower RPM's, not including idle.
I thought it was odd to have the Vacuum advance only to ignore it but I do as I'm told.
r_towle
The vacuum advance helps with off idle stumbling.

At 3500 rpms, and even before that, the mechanical advance starts working by centrifugal force, so as long as both springs are not broken, and the mechanism is working, you get total advance in the end.

Vacuum retard helps with run on which is when you are coming to a stop light, the idle takes too long to come back down....when vacuum retard is working, it snaps the advance plates back to zero....so you don't have to wait.

You can run without either of them.
You tune the car without either hose attached.

I have had mixed results tuning with the retard hose....but I was tuning a car for autox and we did not Ike it coming back to idle so quickly...it performed better with some advance still in play between shifts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.