Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lizard skin
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
partwerks
Lizard skin probably isn't something to try and use in the cab in place of sound deadener, but would be ok to use in the engine bay, and rear trunk?
Bob L.
I thought Lizard skin was a sound deadener. They also have thermal insulation.
effutuo101
I used both the thermal and sound deadening in the cabin and on the firewall. Shouldn't be an issue.
partwerks
I wonder which would be easier to apply, like Dynomat, or lizard skin?

I would imagine lizard skin is a spray on type?

Maybe both sides of the firewall, and rear trunk? Not sure about front turnk?
914_8
I use Lizard skin routinely at work. DO NOT apply it where it can get wet(engine comp) it will damage it. Also if you decide to put the sound and ceramic coatings on, apply the sound damper first.
914four
QUOTE(914_8 @ May 18 2014, 11:38 PM) *

I use Lizard skin routinely at work. DO NOT apply it where it can get wet(engine comp) it will damage it. Also if you decide to put the sound and ceramic coatings on, apply the sound damper first.

Has anyone used this in the engine bay or had trouble with the "wet" areas?
effutuo101
Haven't hit the road yet. I did paint over mine so I think it is sealed.
Also, I live in San Diego. So, not much water.
partwerks
Are there any other choices that might be comparable to lizard skin, or sound deadener, for putting in the cab, and trunks?
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(partwerks @ Sep 6 2014, 06:54 AM) *

Are there any other choices that might be comparable to lizard skin, or sound deadener, for putting in the cab, and trunks?

Lizard skin is super easy to apply. I sprayed it in the cab on the firewall.

If you want to go cheap and effective, you can use "Ice Mat" from a roofing supply store. It is a sticky, thick, rubber-ish membrane. It can be applied like dynamat. It is slightly less dense and will need to be thicker (more layers).

Lizard skin is still easier since it sprays on. It's water based and will need time to dry.

You could also use bed liner spray. It will take out some sound resonance but will also need to be thinker than dynomat.
partwerks
I wonder how the lizard skin compares to the dyno mat for lessening the sound?
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(partwerks @ Sep 6 2014, 01:47 PM) *

I wonder how the lizard skin compares to the dyno mat for lessening the sound?

For the same thickness, the Dynomat is better (denser). If you eliminate the rear window, that will help with the noise.
partwerks
Or mufflers that are more quiet, this time around.
Tilly74
I just don't understand how anyone could skin a lizard they're so cool! This is Mango our baby bearded dragon. She loves the sun and car rides so naturally the 914 is perfect...too bad her owner is taking forever to get anything done.

Click to view attachment
partwerks
I stumbled across a couple options.

From some of the comments, one being a cheap good version called Raammat, and the other is where you can DIY Lizardskin?

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/thr...parison.774952/

http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96613

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/sho...ead.php?t=81933
partwerks
I wonder if using lizard skin on the interior side of the targa top, under the carpet, would be favorable for helping with sound?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.