Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WOO HOO!!!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
red914
in case any of you are wondering, no i don't talk about anything other than brakes. ask my wife.

but seriously, one piston is out, and the other three are now extended!!!!! IPB Image YAY!!!! now to grip them with my wimpy little girl fingers and try to pull them out. IPB Image

thanks to Eric, Dino, Kevin, and anyone else who offered advice! IPB Image

anyone know exercises to increase one's finger grip strength? i don'wanna use vise grips...
Allan
QUOTE (red914 @ Jan 15 2005, 05:32 PM)
anyone know exercises to increase one's finger grip strength? i don'wanna use vise grips...

Do this IPB Image over and over. IPB Image
jwalters
QUOTE (red914 @ Jan 15 2005, 05:32 PM)
in case any of you are wondering, no i don't talk about anything other than brakes. ask my wife.

but seriously, one piston is out, and the other three are now extended!!!!! IPB Image YAY!!!! now to grip them with my wimpy little girl fingers and try to pull them out. IPB Image

thanks to Eric, Dino, Kevin, and anyone else who offered advice! IPB Image

IPB Image Welllll, i can give some really good advice about your finger dexterity--but I need some information first--are you male or female??? IPB Image IPB Image
red914
stop it, yer killin' me. IPB Image

seriously, with what can ya grab the piston that won't bugger it up?
scotty914
rubber strap wrench about 5 bucks at harbor freight or 10 at HD or sears
red914
i tried my little pipe strap wrench, but it simply slid. i need to get a good grippy rubber thingie, i think.

i still can't believe how happy a couple of moving pieces of metal can make me! now to get those babies out, rebuilt, and reinstalled. it has been too long since i have driven my car! IPB Image
scotty914
put a piece or bike inner tube under the strao wrench you have now
red914
hmmm... tried that, Scott. still no budge. they are in tight; maybe that is the problem in the first place, eh?

i'll keep at it. thanks for the tip.

odd because the pistons are shiny on the surface that got exposed by cranking them out with the adjusting screw.

btw, one caliper is marked "Ate" and "26" and the other is marked "Ate" and "36." what does it mean? one has just one bleed screw, the other has two.

IPB Image
jim912928
Here is what I did to remove my rear pistons (mine were also very shiny and not corroded once extended)....

1. got a piece of packing foam (this would be similar to using grippy rubber thing
2. used a set of channel locks on the edge (not the shiny piston part) and slowly twisted and wiggled them out. I believe vice grips would do the same thing as long as you didn't torque down on the tightness..but just tight enough to grip on the edge that is always exposed (mine had kindof a raised lip).

They came right off this way...no marks, but even if they did it was on the lip that isn't the fine smooth cylindrical part that goes into the caliper

Jim

note: I also had my calipers split when I was doing this (widened mine for vented rotors)
red914
Jim, your idea intrigues me. i think i'll try it later on this evening!
IronHillRestorations
Try some channellocks and a piece of leather.
red914
hey, Perry! leather sounds like the deal. just taking a break from getting the kids' lunches ready for tomorrow, then it's off to the garage to try this out. i'll weigh in later with the results.
red914
harumph... nuthin'. IPB Image

back to the drawing board. soak in liquid wrench...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.