Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Quick Clutch / TO Beariing Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
andrew15
I've rebuilt my pedal cluster and am installing a new clutch cable.

With no cable connected, the pedal goes to the floor
With the cable installed, it takes up all the slack between the throw out bearing and the clutch

If that's the case, is the throw out bearing always in contact with the clutch diaphragm?

Thanks
Andrew M
bulitt
No, TO bearings should not be riding on the clutch fingers constantly. They aren't designed to spin at high rpm's for extended periods. Adjust your cable so there is slight free play.

Heres a procedure link- http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...tch++adjustment
edwin
I always wondered why the ones in Vw and Porsche aren't meant to be in contact but most new cars use one that is always in contact. Most engines don't see rpm that would be a problem for even cheap bearings. Or am I over thinking it?
bulitt
QUOTE(edwin @ May 19 2014, 09:05 AM) *

I always wondered why the ones in Vw and Porsche aren't meant to be in contact but most new cars use one that is always in contact. Most engines don't see rpm that would be a problem for even cheap bearings. Or am I over thinking it?

I think you hit it correctly. Newer GM and Mustangs have constant contact hydraulic bearings which ride against the fingers. They just never see extended high rpm's. I read some of these cars are having failures in Germany on the Autobahn. Compared to domestic TO bearings from the 70's the 914 version is a nice design IMHO. Seems my 1971 Z28 was always eating bearings. They were just stamped steel with some balls inside. I could shift the Muncie without using the clutch. Just moved the shifter so the gears were touching and once they spun up would pop into gear.
bdstone914
Yes the spring on the clutch pedal should push the pedal down when the cable is not attached. You should have about one inch of play in the pedal before it starts to disengage the pressure plate.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(bulitt @ May 19 2014, 05:00 AM) *
No, TO bearings should not be riding on the clutch fingers constantly.

Yes, they should. The spring that pulls the clutch pedal down to the floor takes up the slack in the system, and keeps the t/o bearing in contact with the pressure plate.

Much or all of the free play in the 914 clutch pedal should be in the "pulling the pedal up from rest".

--DD
HalfMoon
I've noticed if I allow to much slack in my clutch cable the throwout bearing arm will come into contact with the spinning plate. Not good. A wee bit of tension shuts it up and puts the pedal at about a third for disengagement.
Anyone else have that?
Oh, mines not stock so that probably has alot to do with things. Renegade sb convert with the kevlar clutch. PO did the convert so no idea what the pressure plate is although the TOB is deffinately 914 (I had the trans out over the winter and took it up to the Dr. for a 1st gear block and a ratio change throughout).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.