Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Countdown to start UP!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Natedog
Evening folks,

Last weekend I installed the engine, this weekend I'm hooking it up!

Where do the wires go on the starter/solenoid?
In the attatched picture the YELLOW wire is coming from the main engine loom, the SMALL RED on top is coming from the alternator, and the BIG RED is coming from the battery.

? 1. Do I have them on the correct connections?
? 2. Am I missing anything?

I'm running carbs, so no FI wires to hassle with IPB Image

Time to start UP:
T minus 8 days

IPB Image

Cheers,
Nate
ejm
Big red is correct
small red goes to same post as big red
yellow goes to where small red is
Natedog
Thanks -

So the SMALL RED from the alternator goes to the same post as the BIG RED from the battery?? I'll have to put an O-ring terminal on the end so that it can go on the stud/nut.
That leaves the lower connections empty and only the top connection with the YELLOW wire from the engine loom. In this setup I would only be using one of the two stud/nut combos.

Really? That seems sorta wierd?!

Sorry my terminology is so crappy. I should go to bed........

Cheers,
Nate
Natedog
Hey everyone,

I could use another opinion on this task.
How do I wire up the starter???

I'm going to brave the cold weather and see how my Squareback is wired. I'm assuming the wiring will be essentially the same.

Cheers,
Nate
jandro62
Where in the harness is that wire coming from?
ClayPerrine
The flat connectors are called "spade terminals".

The big red wire is the battery cable that supplies power to the solenoid. The little red wire with the female spade connector is from the alternator. It needs to have a ring end installed on it and it needs connected to the post with the big red wire. It sends power to the big red wire when the motor is running to charge the battery.

The yellow wire is the start wire. It connects to the top spade terminal. It only has power when the key is in the start position. The bottom spade terminal is left empty.

Hope that helps.....
Natedog
That helps a LOT! Thanks!

I'll go wire it up and see how it goes!

Cheers
Nate
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.