Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Yellow driving lights
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
malcolm2
I have seen pictures of pre-75 cars with YELLOW driving lights. Anyone ever use this stuff? The guy says he can cut any diameter. I am thinking of having him cut 4-1/4" for me.... $8, what can it hurt. Ads to the European look, don't you think?

Krusty says the lights don't really do anything anyway. They should look as cool as possible, if that is the case.

yellow driving light overlay on eBay

Click to view attachment
damesandhotrods
Unless they’ve been changed out, the car came with fog lights, not driving lights. And if you’ve ever driven your car in heavy fog you’d know they work pretty well.
Ferg
Do it yourself with this... Take the lens out and paint the inside. I've done it a few times and it works great, more coats = darker shade...

Ferg
I did the ebay overlay on my GTO only because they are a plastic sealed unit... It's ok, but up real close the edges are visible and it's not as clear, few tiny air bubbles ect.

malcolm2
A work buddy has a Toyota truck and his driving or fog lights have what looks to be a factory overlay. It comes up short on the edge, but seems to have a tab on both sides. Weird, maybe the tab is to help you remove it in the future.

You know, that dupli-color looks better, brighter yellow. I was about to pull the trigger on this guy's site and I asked 1 more question so I was waiting. Glad I did.
Ferg
IMO since it's glass and the lens comes out easy enough the paint is cleaner. Wouldn't call it reversible though.

If your fogs are already pitted the overlay may or may not hide pits...

Another pic lighter that I did no some headlights with the paint.
SirAndy
QUOTE(damesandhotrods @ May 20 2014, 10:37 AM) *
Unless they’ve been changed out, the car came with fog lights, not driving lights.

agree.gif

They are fog lights, not driving lights ...
shades.gif
Bob L.
With all the talk about Plasti-Dip lately, I would think it's worth a try.
malcolm2
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 20 2014, 02:09 PM) *

QUOTE(damesandhotrods @ May 20 2014, 10:37 AM) *
Unless they’ve been changed out, the car came with fog lights, not driving lights.

agree.gif

They are fog lights, not driving lights ...
shades.gif

Then they really should be yellow. I think I remember someone saying that the yellow light can be seen better by oncoming traffic in fog.

Isn't there a picture of 1 single yellow, mounted light on the driver's side front bumper. That is for the oncoming cars to see you, not for you to see them.... in the fog, that is.
jim_hoyland
agree.gif The duplicolor is theist best way to go. Used it on several cars. smile.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ May 20 2014, 07:31 PM) *
Then they really should be yellow. I think I remember someone saying that the yellow light can be seen better by oncoming traffic in fog.

Isn't there a picture of 1 single yellow, mounted light on the driver's side front bumper. That is for the oncoming cars to see you, not for you to see them.... in the fog, that is.

The purpose of foglights is not for others to see you.

To be of any use to you, they need to be mounted as low as possible so the light beam can get "under" the fog. They also need to have the correctly shaped lens (which differs from driving lights).

Otherwise, they will just blind you when used in fog.
popcorn[1].gif
StratPlayer
Got these from germany, no film, the real deal.
SirAndy
QUOTE(StratPlayer @ May 21 2014, 02:29 PM) *
Got these from germany, no film, the real deal.

You may have gotten them from Germany, but i bet they're French since they're illegal in Germany.
shades.gif
914Sixer
I have one 75-76 lens and I am looking for another new one. Same as Mercedes Benz of that time period along with the 911 74-83.
edrotol
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ May 20 2014, 10:29 AM) *

I have seen pictures of pre-75 cars with YELLOW driving lights. Anyone ever use this stuff? The guy says he can cut any diameter. I am thinking of having him cut 4-1/4" for me.... $8, what can it hurt. Ads to the European look, don't you think?

Krusty says the lights don't really do anything anyway. They should look as cool as possible, if that is the case.

yellow driving light overlay on eBay

Click to view attachment

Sorry for the ambush but I do have for sale a set of yellow lens easily replacement for a 70-74 fog light assembly. PM if interested. No markings but simply Japan in bottom of the lens. I apologize again.
StratPlayer
The fog lights I have say Bosch on them, do they make Bosch lights in France?
SirAndy
QUOTE(StratPlayer @ May 22 2014, 09:01 AM) *

The fog lights I have say Bosch on them, do they make Bosch lights in France?

Sure, Bosch makes products for the whole world, some of which are specialized to fit regulations in specific markets.

Where they are made and where they are legal to use are two completely different things ...
shades.gif
malcolm2
I went ahead and ordered the $6 vinyl. Figured if I wasn't happy with them, I could pull the lenses and use the dupli-color.

Before during and After shots. not bad from 10 feet away. worth $6 anyway.

I just centered them and pushed to the edges, then used a hot air gun and kept working it. The material left some creases and bumps, so it is not perfect.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Call them what you want, FOG, DRIVING, whatever.... I like the look, classic 914 with pre-75 bumpers and the bumper lites.

Have a fun Memorial Day weekend. piratenanner.gif
campbellcj
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ May 24 2014, 08:32 AM) *

Call them what you want, FOG, DRIVING, whatever....

You can call 'em what you want, but only one name would be correct. What the guys are trying to say above is that fog lights and driving lights are totally different things. driving.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.