group buy! IPB Image IPB Image
Type 4 Unleashed
PIC3
Type 4 Unleashed
PIC4
Type 4 Unleashed
PIC5
Brett W
They weren't looking to take much out were they. Bet it probably weighs in at about 10lbs.
Mueller
Automotion used to sell flywheels lightened in the same fashion.....

Aaron, it's not that big of a deal for any decent machine shop to make one...figure a few hours of labor (setup and such) and then send it off to get balanced
DNHunt
Get it balanced with the rest of the rotating mass if possible. Course if you are not doing a rebuild, you can only balance the flywheel.

That sure looks cool. Too bad all the really neat stuff gets covered with other more boring stuff like bell housings and tin. You have to admit our engines are pretty boring to look at.

I found it really interesting on my engine when I mounted the pressure plate to the flywheel, Jake had indexed the bolts. They were numbered 1-6 and the holes were stamped 1-6. Balance is important I guess.

Dave
machina
QUOTE (DNHunt @ Jan 16 2005, 08:38 AM)
I found it really interesting on my engine when I mounted the pressure plate to the flywheel, Jake had indexed the bolts. They were numbered 1-6 and the holes were stamped 1-6. Balance is important I guess.

Gotta love those indexed bolts.

I think there is a problem using a FW less than 12lbs. Not sure why but someone will chime in.
Brett W
I ran an 11 lb flywheel with a six puck solid center metallic disk everyday for a year. Once you got used to it, it was no problem. Really grabby though. I wouldn't want to go any lighter than that for street use.
machina
QUOTE (Brett W @ Jan 16 2005, 11:16 AM)
I ran an 11 lb flywheel with a six puck solid center metallic disk everyday for a year. Once you got used to it, it was no problem. Really grabby though. I wouldn't want to go any lighter than that for street use.

IPB Image

I got used to the rigid 6 puck in no time. I was worried about doing gentle starts like when I pull on and off the trailer but now I don't give it a second thought.
Mark Henry
Those look like two different flywheels...one has a welded center. Drilling holes near the center doesn't do much and I don't remove material from the back of the friction surface as the fly could warp.
jd74914
fours don't sound that bad buddy IPB Image
TimT
here is the way the factory lightened the 906 flywheel

the problem running superlight flywheel is the flywheel is an energy storage device. The mass of heavy flywheel helps keep the engine running at idle.. High compression engine with light flywheelssometime stall. With a distirbutor ignition this can be a pain in the butt. If you have EFI, you can dial in some etra advance at idle so that the engine makes more power, and helps keep the engine idling well.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Ralph @ Jan 16 2005, 03:40 PM)
QUOTE (jd74914 @ Jan 16 2005, 01:34 PM)
fours don't sound that bad buddy IPB Image

I’ve come to the conclusion that all fours sound bad. A while back someone posted a movie of a Speedster replica with one of Jake’s motors in it and I would describe the sound as a “cacophony of rattle cans”. Here’s a movie of the Grassroots Motorsports 914 project - btw, it’s for sale for $16,995 obo.

http://www.grassrootsmotorsports.com/IMAGES/914.mov

its all relative,.....

and thems fightin words IPB Image IPB Image
nebreitling
i love the sound of a six, too -- it's totally intoxicating -- but i've heard a few T4's that sound absolutely fan-friggin-tastic, like a horny wasp on crystal-meth out to rape you. yes, that good.

once you deal with the valvetrain "tapping", they can start to sound pretty good.
Mueller
QUOTE (nebreitling @ Jan 16 2005, 03:54 PM)
i love the sound of a six, too -- it's totally intoxicating -- but i've heard a few T4's that sound absolutely fan-friggin-tastic, like a horny wasp on crystal-meth out to rape you. yes, that good.

once you deal with the valvetrain "tapping", they can start to sound pretty good.

I have not heard a Nickies equipped engine(yet), but from what Charles said, they have a different cool sound from the air flowing over the fins IPB Image
Mark Henry
Nice way for a /6 snob newbie to introduce himself

IPB Image

Bet it's Alfred IPB Image
SirAndy
QUOTE (Mark Henry @ Jan 16 2005, 04:10 PM)
Bet it's Alfred IPB Image

ayupp, he got the boot ...

IPB Image

IPB Image Andy
Brett W
I got used to the rigid 6 puck in no time. I was worried about doing gentle starts like when I pull on and off the trailer but now I don't give it a second thought.

I finished the clutch, input shaft seal and output shaft seal replacement at 4am/ Went home and got breakfast, took a shower and went to get in line for work. I was working on a military base at the time so I have a long line and wait to get to work. Had the joy of learning the six puck in line to work that morning. AH the joys of the daily driven teener.

Yes the 4 cylinder has a weird sound. Lots of mechanical noise. I just finished a car for a friend that has tweaked little 2056 in it. I forgot how much mechanical noise these things make. They sound like a diesel in some aspects.

My engine sounded absolutely awesome when you got past the valvetrain noise. With the straight cut cam gears and 44 IDFs screaming in your ear at 6500 it was indeed music. Had several people complement me on how it sounded, three blocks away.
Jake Raby
All that work to bolt a 10 pound pressure plate to it..

I do lightening similar to this in my balancer, but its really worthless because the P/P is so damn heavy and has a big radius.

What we do for the FP guys is make a chromoly billet flywheel and use a tilton clutch pack which is only 4" in diameter.

Unless someone has tight gearing or a super lightweight car this type of flywheel will creat an animal thats a bitch to drive in traffic or on the freeway.

Remembver that the engine will rev UP faster with less weight but it will also rev DOWN faster as well.

We leave the flywheel stock weight on all street cars, even with large engines.
SirAndy
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Jan 17 2005, 08:43 AM)
Unless someone has tight gearing or a super lightweight car this type of flywheel will creat an animal thats a bitch to drive in traffic or on the freeway.

IPB Image i seriously think abolut going back to a stock flywheel/clutch/pressure plate ....

i've been in stop & go traffic a few times now and it feels like it's ripping the car apart.
you can't really slip the clutch. it's more of a "all or nothing" kinda thing.

not guud for daily driving ...
IPB Image Andy
Jake Raby
The only time its not a pain is when you have a big stroker with tons of grunt- Then you can start to lighten things and can't tell.
Type 4 Unleashed
The pics were sent to me from this guy in Germany, the one flywheel, with the welded center, is just a type 1, with a type 4 center, isn't that how KEP does it?

I, myself prefer, a stock flywheel, I, need the weight, for gas mileage, it takes more fuel to keep, a lightened flywheel spinning, lets say a cruising 3,000 RPM, the stock flywheel's weight, or mass, or stored energy, takes less fuel, to keep it spinning, once the 3,000 rpm is attained. I drive alot of freeway miles.

Richard
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.