Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: How Old Is The World?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
7TPorsh
I realized today I have had my car for almost 10 years. The content here and the group of members have made it possible for me to actually work on and enjoy this quirky German car.

THANK YOU ALL!

I don't want to drum up any negativity regarding the old "club" or anything. I do remember being a member during a "split up".

So what I am really getting at here is......When did the world site go online and become what it is today?

I am guessing from my lousy memory around the end of 2006?

Just trying to gauge how old we are...thx
bdstone914
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ May 20 2014, 02:40 PM) *

I realized today I have had my car for almost 10 years. The content here and the group of members have made it possible for me to actually work on and enjoy this quirky German car.

THANK YOU ALL!

I don't want to drum up any negativity regarding the old "club" or anything. I do remember being a member during a "split up".

So what I am really getting at here is......When did the world site go online and become what it is today?

I joined on November of 2003. Eric's profile shows Sept 2003. That would seem to be the beginning. Your profile shows March 2006 and you though it started in late 2006? You must be getting old. poke.gif
BTW this is year 2014.
bulitt
December 23, 2002. confused24.gif
7TPorsh
I don't know the chain of events but I do remember some bit of drama around that time I joined so I assumed that it was fresh.

I typo'd...actually was thinking 2005...

So 2003..
bulitt
Brad Roberts Joined 12/23/2002.
poorsche914
914world.com Creation Date: 14-dec-2006

driving.gif
Cupomeat
I thought Al Gore created the world, right after he created the internet"s"...
happy11.gif
r_towle
date was a few weeks before I joined.
Drums66
QUOTE(bulitt @ May 20 2014, 03:23 PM) *

Brad Roberts Joined 12/23/2002.

....Yeah,Bullitt's close...if not right on idea.gif
flag.gif bye1.gif
Bob L.
Wouldn't Sir Andy be the authority on this? What says he?
brant
The "some sort of drama". Was the reason for the creation of the world. Technically the "club" was the same software on the same server with the same mastermind (andy). So I actually believe world was the same group as "club" and then the world group was kind enough to change the name in the interest of conflict resolution.

In The early days there was a different fight every holiday season.
NORD

Every year on December 23rd the Birthday Fairy list the 914 World as it's B day
SirAndy
QUOTE(Bob L. @ May 20 2014, 07:23 PM) *

The World came to be in December of 2006 but all the old posts from before the split are also still here, so the content on this site actually goes back to December of 2002.

smile.gif
bandjoey
In the beginning there were little baby dinosaurs. Go back to page 1890ish and see what was happening.
7TPorsh
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 20 2014, 08:25 PM) *

QUOTE(Bob L. @ May 20 2014, 07:23 PM) *

The World came to be in December of 2006 but all the old posts from before the split are also still here, so the content on this site actually goes back to December of 2002.

smile.gif

Yes exactly what I remember...World established 2006...content is a different thing.

Thanks!
worn
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ May 20 2014, 01:40 PM) *

I am a HAL 9000 computer. I became operational at the H.A.L. plant in Urbana, Illinois on the 12th of January 1992. My instructor was Mr. Langley, and he taught ...

Click to view attachment
SLITS
"And in the beginning, the internet was without form,

On the first day ClubNarp was created,

Seeing they were alone in the Universe, World was created,

And the others returned to ashes."
ben*james
Oh old and wise ones...hehehe...smile.gif

Will some one tell the tale of how the world came to be? pray.gif
Brian_Boss
Most of the people who joined initially came from rennlist (formerly porschelist). As I recall, frustration with that site not being "vendor neutral" was the biggest reason for the creation of 914club.

There are still a few folks on here that I remember from the email listserve before that. "Porschefans", maybe??

edit P.S. Embarrassed to admit I was on 914club from almost the first day but didn't create an account until Jun of 03 because I didn't have anything to post. Yes, I'm the uber-lurker.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Brian_Boss @ May 22 2014, 09:34 AM) *

Most of the people who joined initially came from rennlist (formerly porschelist). As I recall, frustration with that site not being "vendor neutral" was the biggest reason for the creation of 914club.

There are still a few folks on here that I remember from the email listserve before that. "Porschefans", maybe??

edit P.S. Embarrassed to admit I was on 914club from almost the first day but didn't create an account until Jun of 03 because I didn't have anything to post. Yes, I'm the uber-lurker.

It was not due to Rennlist not being "Vendor Neutral"

He who shall not be named had a public argument with John Dunkle.

So he got with Andy and setup 914club.

r_towle
And other member newsletters were dying off, sites did not gain traction....

914 club got all of us from different places.
ben*james
He who shall not be named had a public argument with John Dunkle.

Wiat,...what?....Voldemort. I knew that harry potter stuff was too good to just make up. av-943.gif
rick 918-S
I forgot wacko.gif
Dave_Darling
Early in the Dark Ages, there was a mail-server called Porschephiles. P-files was run by one Stan [Hanks], dark wizard and master of IT and Porsches. It was one big list for all makes and models of Porsche, from the cranky old 356es to the lowly and unregarded 924s and 914s to the newest 964 Carrera 4s and even 928s! It had no automated way of signing up, and would occasionally get overloaded and crash until the Mighty Stan returned from his business travel to reboot it.

During one of these outages, the kindly Unca Dunka put together a mail server with automation, and a way to access it through the (somewhat) new World Wide Web thing. It was called "Porschelist", it was separated out by model type, and it was pretty darned good. Most of the Pfiles folks went there, and Stan seemed content to retire from the mailing-list-running biz.

It came to the notice of the kindly Unka Dunka that certain parties might not take kindly to having their name associated with an on-line presence that they did not control. So after some thought, Unca and his partners changed the name of Porschelist to Rennlist, and expanded its scope.

I am not privy to exactly what happened to bring about the Club, but I do know that the "Renegade 914 Club" site on dgi.net had a very busy and popular BBS for many years. I think its demise may have been one of many reasons for the Club site to be started.

....Anyway, that's as much as I really remember about The Olde Days...

--DD
campbellcj
Wow Dave, I remember being part of most of that too, which makes me feel old. And not being able to remember part of it makes me feel old, too. Sigh.

Interestingly I just re-joined Rennlist recently as it's one of the most active places for the later-model Porsches. I can't even remember when I was last there and don't know if John D. still runs it or what.
ben*james
Thanks Dave. Nice backgrounds for us that didn't know or...couldn't remember smile.gif
It seems like people (Rick) have blocked it from memory. poke.gif Must be more juicy details to the story but I'll let it drop. Although, it might make a good made for TV mini series.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(campbellcj @ May 22 2014, 10:50 PM) *

Interestingly I just re-joined Rennlist recently as it's one of the most active places for the later-model Porsches. I can't even remember when I was last there and don't know if John D. still runs it or what.

It's interesting that the web forums, which were an add-on originally, are now the main thing and the mailing lists are (as far as I can tell) gone.

Unka Dunka sold the biz off many years ago. I don't think he has anything to do with Rennlist now--though I could be wrong...

--DD
Joe Ricard
Being as I am a early member you can see the date and year I joined. which about few days after this placed fired up.
r_towle
QUOTE(ben*james @ May 23 2014, 09:45 AM) *

Must be more juicy details to the story but I'll let it drop.

Good idea. biggrin.gif
r_towle
BTW,

I remember fights on the list servers, DGI, Rennlist and Pelican also...
Oooo, there was an epic battle on shop talk forums....

Not anything new...the fighting that is.

I got involved with the 356 list (to help technically) for a while and it turned into a real battle to get the owner and manager of the email list to just give it up....
A new forum emerged, and everything is running smoothly...

But,
I was maybe 3-4 years ago now.....so it was pure emails for way too long....just a few stubborn people can ruin things.

rich
ben*james
Issue dropped. I didn't really understand what I was stirring up but I know now thanks to some PMs.

I'll never speak of it again. To quote Rick " I forgot "

How about the WCR 2015 in Medford!! Can't wait!
orthobiz
Meanwhile, my orange car was purchased in early 2007 from an ad on the other site soon after the split. I benefitted because few people from The World saw the ad...

Paul
Steve
I remember hanging out on the rennegade site and on Tim's 914 fan web page. Then 914club came about. The rumor was that Brad was trying to make money off of the web site, hence the breakup. Ahwell... I hope this site does not change. I like it just the way it is. Thanks to all those that keep it going behind the scene!!
Bleyseng
Ah, the good old days of Renegade, Tim's 914, Rennlist, Pelican's BBS etc were lots of fun but All914 had the classifieds and BR got ahold of the 914Club when it expired.
The split was caused by DirkWright's disease and I miss Jeroen's graphic designs.
smj
QUOTE(Brian_Boss @ May 22 2014, 06:34 AM) *

Oh yes - I may still have a bunch of digests from the 924-944 P-fans list around here somewhere, dating to late 1997 and 1998. (And finding those just cost me an hour before I got back on task...)

Anyway this thread prompted me to check around, and it looks like I actually was subscribed to Porschelist/Rennlist for about seven months. Wasn't enamored of the Lyris list manager, and I thought the forum software was vile so I avoided it all. I eventually ran into DDunkle and probably blurted out something undiplomatic, as was my custom at the time... unsure.gif

Anyway, there are some more dates recorded on this page, but the archive of Porschephiles and P-fans has been offline a few years. I've written to Charlie to ask about getting a copy, or access.

--S.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.