Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: /6 Oil tank to hose - straight or degree?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
patssle
For the oil line output of the oil tank in the fender for a /6 conversion - are you guys using a straight connector, 45 degree, or 90 degree? Mine will be stainless steel -16 AN so a little larger hose to deal with too.
pcar916
I'm using a stock hose from the tank to in front of the tire.

That hose is a molded 90 degree there at the trailing arm. Then I convert to -16AN from that fitting to the engine (1-45 and 1-90 degree mandrel-bent fittings later, with some hose segments as well). Then an AN converter at the engine brings it back to metric.

With the -12 hoses up to and back from the oil cooler into the tank, and -16 from the tank back to the engine, that gives me a quart of oil in the lines alone. Of course the oil in the front lines and cooler is foamy, but I'm ignoring that for this discussion since it effects cooling more than volume.

If I had to do it again I would have done it in -16 from the engine to the front and back, and -20 from the tank to the engine. My oil cooler has -16AN bungs, so I had to adapt them to -12, which took a little bit of real estate, and forced me to mount the (very long) cooler a little to the driver's side of the front trunk. No one can tell since the front grill and the outlet in the hood are centered, but it was a challenge in the ductwork for a non-sheet-metal guy like me.

If I can find a photo of the entire return circuit, I'll add it into the post later.

Note: My front cooler has to be large since the 993 engine doesn't have a cooler behind cylinder #6, so all of my oil goes forward to the front cooler.

Good luck!
McMark
The AN-16 that hooks to the tank should be a 45°.
patssle
Thanks Mark.

Another oil related question - the return line into the tank does not have a template spot in the car body to cut out like the filler neck and filter do. How do I know the exact spot to drill the hole?
McMark
The best way is to take some measurements off the tank and guess with a smaller drill bit (1/2"). Then test fit the tank and see where it lines up. Then slowly modify your hole a little at a time, test fitting in between. Test fitting so many times can be a PITA, but the more you do it, the better the result will be.
patssle
Thanks Mark. I'm assuming you install the fitting into the return port of the tank after it's installed? Seems like a tight fit even to get a good wrench on it though.
GeorgeRud
I seem to remember that I attached and tightened the fitting on the bottom of the tank before doing a final install of the tank. I was able to get a pretty accurate placement of the oil line and then easily tighten the line, then push the tank forward into it's final location.

On my conversion car, it was easier as the flares seemed to give me a bit more room to work.
McMark
agree.gif Install the hose first.
patssle
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ May 31 2014, 01:43 PM) *

I seem to remember that I attached and tightened the fitting on the bottom of the tank before doing a final install of the tank.

You're talking the return line too? The feed line is on the bottom of the tank (coming out near the fender) which definitely is installed first whereas the return line is a drilled hole through the side and engine shelf.

Just double checking!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.