Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to stand out in a crowd.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
McMark
One of the reasons we drive classic cars. wub.gif
ripper911
w00t.gif
Krieger
The square in Sonoma?
Justinp71

Also shows you how huge modern cars are in our country too...
TargaToy
Good grief! So tiny next to that Prissy.
billh1963
Lost in the crowd!!!
jmill
I forgot how low they sit when they're not on jackstands.
krazykonrad
Makes the Pruis look like a monster truck.

Konrad beerchug.gif
bulitt
Need a recumbent flag...

IPB Image
r_towle
aside from the size, its sad and striking there are so many black, white and silver cars out there....your little yellow car sticks out just based upon color.

Rich
chads74
That's how I felt last week, made me laugh when I walked up so I had to take a pic.

Click to view attachment
Brian_Boss
Stands out - if you can see it.

Driving little sport cars teaches you quickly to remember _exactly_ where you park. if you are forced to park in a big, full lot like a mall or sporting event, you better be able to walk right to the row you're on or you will have a nice little adventure finding your car. Did that one time back in high school when I first got my DL.
AvalonFal
Wow - that's really brings out the safety aspect of driving our 914's. I don't think those over-compensating trucks could easily see us from their front or rear views.
Paul
JmuRiz
That's why we all need those LED turn and brake light kits...along with a CHMSL. Heck, maybe we should all wear helmets too...
bulitt
Was driving my dads Fiat 850spyder once in the early 70's. Stopped at a light.
A garbage truck pulled up behind me. He took off and ran right over the back trunk lid with his bumper. Shoved me for several hundred feet. He must of hit the brakes because I disconnected. Flagged down a cop and when we found him he denied it ever happened. When I backed the fiat up to the front of the truck the bumper fit perfectly onto the gouges in the trunk lid. Honestly, he just lost sight of my entire car.

My Dad was pissed. Cost 25$ for a new trunk lid!
worn
QUOTE(McMark @ May 21 2014, 01:18 PM) *

One of the reasons we drive classic cars. wub.gif

If I am not mistaken it is next to a prius. Blood tribute from Toyota that used to make sensible sized cars. Coming from the northwest I find the Tacoma a personal affront although Tacoma itself used to smell bad. WTF? I used to get 21 MPG in my 61 Falcon with 6 people in it. That is considered OK 50 years after bearing and engine and airflow improvements. We should be getting 60 mpg without hybrids. But they have to be big enough for their own zip code and peel out fast. My wife has an Oddysey and God I hate it! Unfortunately our Porsche company seems to be leading the pack in stupidity, with 150 mph minivans. Why are we so dumb ass?

Rant over. Sorry folks, I just am getting old I guess. Expectations too high.
ClayPerrine
How to stay out of trouble with all the behemoths on the road.....

Lots of Horns.

Lots of REALLY LOUD HORNS.

Put a couple of horns in the back too.

Lots of lights.

Setup your fogs to run without the headlights and use them as daytime running lights.

Add a BRIGHT third brake light. Up high below the targa band. A couple of small driving lights with red lenses mounted to the ski rack holes on either side would do it.

And be Paranoid. Assume they can't see you.

GeorgeRud
Clay might have a great idea of mounting some brake lights using the ski rack mounting holes. I don't believe there would be any downside, and perhaps they could even be wired to act as turn signals as well.

That photo of the 914 between the pickups really wakes one up to the disparity of size between today's cars and our 914s!
larss
We are not the biggest in our own family either...

/Lars S

IPB Image
Moneypit
Now you know how I found my 914 in high school. I just looked for the hole in the parking lot because I knew there weren't actually open parking spots. sunglasses.gif

Also, with guys dropping in LED lights, wouldn't it be easy to do an "emergency stop" strobing brake light that kicks in when the brake pedal goes max, ala Mercedes and others?
mgp4591
You drive the teener like you ride a motorcycle- you assume everyone is out to kill you... mad.gif
ripper911
QUOTE(Moneypit @ May 22 2014, 12:22 PM) *

Wouldn't it be easy to do an "emergency stop" strobing brake light that kicks in when the brake pedal goes max, ala Mercedes and others?

When the brake pedal goes max on a 914 does anybody really have time to stop before you do?
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(ripper911 @ May 22 2014, 12:05 PM) *

QUOTE(Moneypit @ May 22 2014, 12:22 PM) *

Wouldn't it be easy to do an "emergency stop" strobing brake light that kicks in when the brake pedal goes max, ala Mercedes and others?

When the brake pedal goes max on a 914 does anybody really have time to stop before you do?

914's are nimble. Use it. Learn accident avoidance rather than a panic stop.

old dog
The best defense is a good offense. Go so fast they don't have time to hit you.
arkitect
The third brake light is a good idea, anything to get the car more visible especially with the teener so low.

But sometimes height of your car does not help these days. I was sitting at a signal waiting for it to change in my Scion xb and I noticed a car coming up on me not slowing, ran right in to me. She was on her cell phone.

Dave
Olympic 914
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ May 22 2014, 12:56 PM) *

You drive the teener like you ride a motorcycle- you assume everyone is out to kill you... mad.gif

agree.gif

I know my 40+ years of riding 2 wheels has made me a better driver. Don't trust anyone! don't believe their turn signals, don't expect them to see you, always be ready for them to pull out in front of you. Ride like you are INVISIBLE.

As far as driving the teener ( two decades ago) I was never comfortable in B2B traffic. Driving along at least you can react to others stupidity.
Nozzle
I also drive my 914 with exactly the same mindset as I did when I rode a motorcycle. When I come to a stop I always leave enough space to drive up on a curb or into the median if needed and never take my eyes off the rear-view mirror until the car behind me has come to a full stop. Sounds paranoid I know but I hate seeing posts on this forum and others where folks are parting out their pride and joy because someone was too busy texting to notice a red light. headbang.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.