Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking for the right tool to....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Natedog
Howdy,

So the bolts on the CV joints are a 12 point Torks bit. I'm not sure of the metric size but a SAE T-40 is a hair small. It's smaller enought that I couldn't torque the bolts.

The local ACE hardware doesn't carry metric Torks.

Any tips out there???

Cheers,
Nate
8mm is the size I have that fits snugly. Been told to make sure the right size is used as easy to strip the inside of bolt if wrong size used account bolts don't want to come out since been in there along time and then you are screwed and in for a long/hard time of getting them out (like trying to file two flats on the bolt head to get a vise grip to hold, etc.). One of our other better informed mechanic types out there might have another size they know of that fits.
balthazar
Autozone has them. It's a 4 pack, hanging on a peg in the tool section. I bought mine in Indiana so they may not have them in stock. If they dont stock them you can have them order a set. They are like $14.95 where as the one pelican sells is $25 or so.

clink clink
Trekkor
8mm 12 point allen...

Use an air ratchet with a 6" extension to remove or install in less than 60 seconds per side. IPB Image

Then torque to 31 ft pds.

KT
markb
QUOTE (trekkor @ Jan 15 2005, 10:28 PM)
8mm 12 point allen...

Use an air ratchet with a 6" extension to remove or install in less than 60 seconds per side. IPB Image

Then torque to 31 ft pds.

KT

IPB Image
mack914
AutoZone- 4pack $14.95
Natedog
Thanks guys!

I don't know where I would find a 8 mm 12 pt allen key.
Looks like I'm headin back to AZ today for the 4-pack.

Cheers,
Nate
Allan
Got mine at a bug shop. Cost around 7 or 8 bucks.
Mark Henry
IPB Image

Any bug parts pusher should have this puppy in stock.
rezron
I think it's actually an 8mm spline drive- not a torx.
Got mine at my local parts store for $7.

rezron
Rhodes71/914
Yes, NOT a TORX, think the guy at my flaps called it a cv joint tool and it came in a 4 pack for less than $10.
kenporacer
any body else replace these with same size allen after you've gotten them off?
Mark Henry
QUOTE (kenporacer @ Jan 16 2005, 01:19 PM)
any body else replace these with same size allen after you've gotten them off?

You'll find an allen strips out easier...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.