Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Bay Water Drain Hose?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lsintampa
I can't seem to locate any source for the water drain hoses (those in the engine bay on the left and right side - that attach to the funnels that collect water from the big water drip pan).

Assume they are NLA. Any aftermarket stuff or is it just old used stock?

I guess I can do my own hose connections - local hardware store route, I just thought if they were around, it may be nice to add.

One side is fine (pass), the driver side is busted up.

Any sources for decent replacements?

Thanks,

Len

bdstone914
QUOTE(lsintampa @ May 22 2014, 02:37 PM) *

I can't seem to locate any source for the water drain hoses (those in the engine bay on the left and right side - that attach to the funnels that collect water from the big water drip pan).

I guess I can do my own hose connections - local hardware store route, I just thought if they were around, it may be nice to add.

Thanks,

Len

If you go to the garden section of a local Lowes or Home Depot they carry irrigation tubing in 20 foot lenghts for $20. It is 1" id compared to the OE 25mm. Works great and the same tubing as the front blower box drains. Only visible difference is the ridges are a spiral and the original are rings. So the clamp goes over a ridge.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ May 22 2014, 03:44 PM) *

QUOTE(lsintampa @ May 22 2014, 02:37 PM) *

Thanks,

Len

If you go to the garden section of a local Lowes or Home Depot they carry irrigation tubing in 20 foot lenghts for $20. It is 1" id compared to the OE 25mm. Works great and the same tubing as the front blower box drains. Only visible difference is the ridges are a spiral and the original are rings. So the clamp goes over a ridge.

agree.gif

That is what I used. This is a picture (only one had) of the same hose up front.

Click to view attachment
TheCabinetmaker
Bug haus carries the originals for the ghia. They are too short for the 914, but they are being made. I've talked to Eric about contacting the manufacture to make some for us but no luck yet. They don't think they could sell enough to make it worth their trouble. That doesn't make sense to me. Didn't they make more 914s than ghias?
bandjoey
Flexible washing machine drain hose works too. Hardware store is our friend!
zambezi
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ May 22 2014, 05:20 PM) *

Didn't they make more 914s than ghias?

I doubt it, they made the Ghias from 1956 to 1974. Of course not all years of the ghia used this type of airbox drain hose.
02loftsmoor
some out of the box thinking, thanks guys. one more thing that I don't have to fiddle with. I know Right were to go
lsintampa
Thanks,

Was at Home Depot today, no luck... will try Lowes / Ace tomorrow

smile.gif
76-914
I couldn't find it at my Lowe's or Home Depot, either. Some handle it some don't. Order online if your area stores don't stock it.
lsintampa
QUOTE(76-914 @ May 24 2014, 10:46 AM) *

I couldn't find it at my Lowe's or Home Depot, either. Some handle it some don't. Order online if your area stores don't stock it.

Got it at Lowes.... thanks!!!!

piratenanner.gif
Chris H.
QUOTE(zambezi @ May 22 2014, 05:35 PM) *

QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ May 22 2014, 05:20 PM) *

Didn't they make more 914s than ghias?

I doubt it, they made the Ghias from 1956 to 1974. Of course not all years of the ghia used this type of airbox drain hose.

OK you guys made me look on this one...and...there were more ghias. Wasn't sure which way it would go myself since they were known for being "hand made" for a while.

If you just count the type 1's there were 438,477 Ghias recorded as being produced. Peak production was over 100 of those little guys a day assuming there was a 2 week break and weekends off.

Ghia Production #'s

maf914
Good thread, because I too need these corrugated hoses for my rain tray. I had removed them and while cleaning them with a brush one simply broke. Aged brittle plastic I assume.

But it makes me wonder why VW/Porsche used corrugated tubing in the first place. Why not smooth tubing, which seems would drain faster and collect less debris? Was it for flexibility? idea.gif
bdstone914
The ridges are only on the outside so they have no effect on flow. It dose make the tube stiffer so it will not easily deform.
cary
Just spent the better part of the afternoon looking for drain hose for our rain tray and fresh air blower. No go at Lowes, Ace, Home Depot, Morlan Plumbing or Fry's. Lowes had a black washer drain hose. But not uniform all the way down.

I know I found it 10 years ago. But both Lowes and Home Depot dropped that bulk line. sad.gif

So I came back home to the web and did some more digging.
Here's what I found.
http://www.thepondoutlet.com/home/tpo/page...ree_tubing.html
So I'll head to garden center at Home Depot and dig around the pond building supplies. I'll follow Mike's install with the spring loaded washer clamps. Looks tidy.

I'll let you know if it will stay on by itself.

cary
More research ..............

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Beckett-1-in-Co...uct_description

20 feet .......... even tells what aisle its on. LOL.
BeatNavy
I was selling some of THIS a few weeks ago. I bought 20 feet and started selling the surplus in 16" pairs for $5 to $7 (primarily for shipping cost). It works like a champ both as fresh air tubing as well as for rain tubes. I may buy another 20 feet and cut it up for people here. Make sure whatever you get is 1 inch.
cary
Grabbed a tape measure before I left.
cary
Back from Home Depot.
20 feet.

Click to view attachment

Clamps at McMasterCarr.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-hose-clamps/=tub3jq
malcolm2
QUOTE(cary @ Sep 21 2014, 06:56 PM) *

I bought the thicker stuff. It is difficult to work with, but might last an extra long time. IIRC I did not have to use the clamps on the engine lid cause the stuff is stiff.

After I bought 20' and used 6 of it, I realized that it came in the vinyl style. I even had some for a rain barrel that I installed and accidentally bought 2 diverters. I consider myself a "closet" environmentalist. blink.gif

If I were to do it again, I would go with the thinner, rain barrel material vs. the thicker fish pond material. Just my 2 cents for future lookers.

I have plenty of the stiff material if anyone is interested.
lsintampa
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Sep 23 2014, 09:49 AM) *

QUOTE(cary @ Sep 21 2014, 06:56 PM) *

I bought the thicker stuff. It is difficult to work with, but might last an extra long time. IIRC I did not have to use the clamps on the engine lid cause the stuff is stiff.

After I bought 20' and used 6 of it, I realized that it came in the vinyl style. I even had some for a rain barrel that I installed and accidentally bought 2 diverters. I consider myself a "closet" environmentalist. blink.gif

If I were to do it again, I would go with the thinner, rain barrel material vs. the thicker fish pond material. Just my 2 cents for future lookers.

I have plenty of the stiff material if anyone is interested.

agree.gif

That fish pond stuff is way too rigid / thick - it is what I ended up with but working with it is a challenge.

cary
Where did you find the rain barrel stuff?
The only thing I saw at HD was the 3/4" version of the same stuff.
The perfect solution is convoluted tubing like you
use for protecting wiring. But without being slit.
Couldn't find any.
cary
Goggled rain barrel drain tube .............

http://www.sears.com/sears-universal-hose-...p;mktRedirect=y

No info on the ID. Looks like it would close.
BeatNavy
Cary I think it is hit or miss on Home Depot. It's all up to your local store. I must have gone to mine four or five times convinced I just wasn't looking in the right place. Finally bought that koi pond tubing, and it is vinyl, and thicker, but I find it easy to use and it works like a champ. The fact that it's stiffer provides more structure, IMHO.
AvalonFal
I used the Home Depot garden tubing on both the fresh air box + the engine bay drain tubes. Works fine.

Click to view attachment
EdwardBlume
agree.gif

This is what I did and plus it's shiny! cheer.gif
malcolm2
QUOTE(cary @ Sep 24 2014, 08:56 AM) *

Goggled rain barrel drain tube .............

http://www.sears.com/sears-universal-hose-...p;mktRedirect=y

No info on the ID. Looks like it would close.

IIRC I bought a diverter online, but did not want to pay to have the barrel shipped. Ended up getting a barrel at Ace hardware that came with the same model diverter in the barrel.

Ace Hardware diverter by Fiskars

Click to view attachment

You are right tho, I never have checked the ID. Right material, but I'll need to dry fit it to be sure.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.