Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: electric question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
hndyhrr
I keep blowing fuse 11. where do i start?
stugray
https://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/TechNotebook.htm
Tom
I see from your signature info that yours is a 1970 year model. I looked at Jeff's site and didn't see the fuse lay out for a 70. Have to assume that those are the same as a 73. That said, the #11 fuse feeds the interior light and the emergency flashers.
How does the fuse blow? In other words what do you do, then the fuse blows? The more info you post, the better we are able to determine what the problem may be.
Tom
hndyhrr
QUOTE(Tom @ May 23 2014, 01:31 PM) *

I see from your signature info that yours is a 1970 year model. I looked at Jeff's site and didn't see the fuse lay out for a 70. Have to assume that those are the same as a 73. That said, the #11 fuse feeds the interior light and the emergency flashers.
How does the fuse blow? In other words what do you do, then the fuse blows? The more info you post, the better we are able to determine what the problem may be.
Tom

The interior light works as it should when you open and close door. When you turn key over fuse blows the metal strip apart in the fuse. Don't know how long it's been this way. We were playing with the little switch for the e brake handle because that's not working right either. When you apply the ebrake the red warning light on the combo gauge(upper left side) it lights up and it stays on when you take the e brake off. so we were looking at fuse box and found blown fuse in # 11 slot. weird thing is we took e brake switch out and the light is still on. am thinking i have alot of electric checking to do.
Give me a wrench and i am good to go, put a meter in my hand and i am lucky to find continuity setting. oh my. I will get her done tho. any info would be appreciated.

thanks
Renee

hndyhrr
QUOTE(hndyhrr @ May 23 2014, 02:39 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom @ May 23 2014, 01:31 PM) *

Tom

The interior light works as it should when you open and close door. When you turn key over fuse blows the metal strip apart in the fuse. Don't know how long it's been this way. We were playing with the little switch for the e brake handle because that's not working right either. When you apply the ebrake the red warning light on the combo gauge(upper left side) it lights up and it stays on when you take the e brake off. so we were looking at fuse box and found blown fuse in # 11 slot. weird thing is we took e brake switch out and the light is still on. am thinking i have alot of electric checking to do.
Give me a wrench and i am good to go, put a meter in my hand and i am lucky to find continuity setting. oh my. I will get her done tho. any info would be appreciated.

thanks
Renee

Had a friend that does electric come over and got the fuse problem fixed. now working on e brake switch. when you put meter probe in wire from switch and touch it to the top metal of the tunnel even with fat max on it you get continuity. so i got a short some where ? possible skinned wire ?
toolguy
that red light is also the master cylinder warning light. . sounds like you need to reset the
button on the MC. . common problem. . .
to test, pull the 2 wires from the MC and see if the light goes out. . . .
hndyhrr
QUOTE(toolguy @ May 23 2014, 04:52 PM) *

that red light is also the master cylinder warning light. . sounds like you need to reset the

will do that in the morning, to reset botton on mc, i have to take out from mc? and ......

sorry long ass day with kids and i am beat.
hndyhrr
QUOTE(hndyhrr @ May 23 2014, 05:34 PM) *

QUOTE(toolguy @ May 23 2014, 04:52 PM) *

will do that in the morning, to reset botton on mc, i have to take out from mc? and ......

sorry long ass day with kids and i am beat

there is no reset on the switch, it is a two pole switch with a plastic piece between the poles. pushed on that plastic and nothing nada!

should i replace switch? or look at something else

oh and is it ok to drive her with that damn light on?

headbang.gif

toolguy
what happened when you pulled of BOTH wires?? If no change, there is something else causing the light to be lit. Time to trace wires. . . . if the light went out, and you have no reset button, it means the pistons in the MC at some time have sensed a leak in either the front circuit or the rear circuit and triggered the switch. . look carefully for the reset button. IIRC, it's tiny, about the size of pencil lead and between the 2 connections. .
OR, leave off the 2 wires if the brakes are working correctly
hndyhrr
When i pulled off both wires the light went out. so took out the switch to get a good look at it and nope no manual reset. soooo put the one pole in the mc and only plugged in the power wire and what happened.......... whooopie light works like it suppose to.

next issue vapor lock. not today tho.
thanks to all of you for the help
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.