Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Which Seals to Replace when re-painting?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
CptTripps
One of the winter projects is a re-paint. Sine I'll have everything apart, I'd like to replace a bunch of the seals too. Anyone have a reccomendation on which ones people most commonly replace when they re-paint? I'm takiing it down to metal on the outside, and going to sandblast all the little nooks and crannies the gaskets go into.

From my initial prodding. It seems I can get the door gaskets off without ripping them, and they still seem like they are in good repair. I don't think I can get the hood one off without tearing it. I'll do the windshield and rear window as new also.

I heard that AutoAtlanta has a kit that has a lot of them for like $600 or something. I'm trying to get details on what it includes.

Thoughts/Comments?
Allan
I'll be painting mine later this year hopefully and have been gradually stockpiling seals as I find them. Seems to be alot cheaper that way as I have been finding them for around 20 - 30 bucks for the targa seals (Except the rear one which I plan on getting from Sammy). I will replace any seal that is torn or dried out to the point it's not sealing anymore and definitley the rear tail light seals (Lots of rust in my trunk). I don't know about the AA kit. I have heard that some of the seals in it are made out of a poorer material.
davep
It depends on how much money you want to throw at the car. Replace as many as you can afford to. If you buy the kit you may not want to replace every one and could keep the others in reserve. Lets face it, the rubber is 30 years old and it does not age that well. I think trunk and door seals are most important. The front trunk channel rusts badly as do the door seal channels. Both are glued in.
azbill
Just finished a repaint job. I replaced all the seals and bright metal, and rechromed the bumpers. In my opinion, if you don't repalce or refinish it all the car looks half assed. It's the finishing touch. Shop around in general PP as or had some good prices. Good luck!

Azbill
jim912928
I did the same type of restore...down to bare metal. I replaced all my seals. I found the best deal from GPR (German Parts Restoration) except the rear targa seal (real expensive)...so I got one of the Sammy seals from a member in this club. They are perfect and a whole lot cheaper!

I agree with Azbill...if you are going to go through all the trouble for a strip and paint..replace all the seals so the job doesn't look partially done.
CptTripps
Anyone have pics of the 'Sammy Seal' installed?

I don't have chrome bumpers on my 73 for whatever reason. PO put some strange scoop and crap on there. I'm going to color-match the bumpers I think.

Gread advise on the seals. I'll start making a list and see what I need. The door seals (the ones attached to the door) seem relatively new and are still supple. I may see if I can save those.

I'll keep my eyes peeled. I'm thinking it'll take me a few weeks to get the car all stripped and sanded...so I've got time.

Before I re-paint, anyone have advice on how to get the gaps all set? Or should I do this AFTER I paint? I was thinking I'd do it before, so if I need to bang anything, I can get it out of the way befor eit looks purdy.

You can see from my pics what I'm talking about.

http://www.hardman.org/pix/1973_914/1973_914.html
jim912928
Sammy seal installs just like the factory seal...using all the factory components.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.