Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shift rod
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Elliot Cannon
My gear box shifted "like butta" but I decided to install this anyway. It seems to be a better design, so what the hey. I'll be adjusting the shifter tomorrow.
Elliot Cannon
Is it possible for someone of a certain age and arthritis in his hands to attach the forward/firewall end of this rubber bellows or do you have to have double jointed extra terrestrial fingers? confused24.gif laugh.gif
Bruce Hinds
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ May 23 2014, 08:42 PM) *

My gear box shifted "like butta" but I decided to install this anyway. It seems to be a better design, so what the hey. I'll be adjusting the shifter tomorrow.

Is someone making those as a kit?
Elliot Cannon
You can find them here. http://www.tangerineracing.com/ And lots of other stuff. biggrin.gif
dirk9141973
Please report on how this kit improves shifting sunglasses.gif
reharvey
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ May 23 2014, 11:45 PM) *

Is it possible for someone of a certain age and arthritis in his hands to attach the forward/firewall end of this rubber bellows or do you have to have double jointed extra terrestrial fingers? confused24.gif laugh.gif

I have three cars and none of the forward rubber bellows are attached. I've tried time and again but give up the fight every time. So---whats the secret to putting these back on? Ray
pcar916
I always get it started at the top after smearing some soapy water on it my fingers. I can slide my fingers down each side after that and have them meet at the bottom.

Good Luck
Java2570
I have that Tangerine shift rod setup as well and also their firewall bushing.
I think it made a nice improvement in the shifting. It did take more time to
dial in the shifter adjustment because the new rod requires a bit more precision
but it wasn't too hard. I have arthritic fingers too but I managed to get my rubber
boot put on at the firewall.....the trick is small fingers, patience and maybe a
small plastic tool to help seat it. I used something I had laying around the garage
that has a tip similar to a screwdriver.
cary
I use a window glazers tool. Looks like a tough depressor, but thicker and is tapered at one end. And square on the other.
ww914
QUOTE(dirk9141973 @ May 24 2014, 04:10 AM) *

Please report on how this kit improves shifting sunglasses.gif

When I first got my car a few years ago, I replaced all the plastic bushings. It worked fine at first but then got sloppy and I had a hard time adjusting the shifter and getting it into first gear. I recently installed the Tangerine upgrade kit with the firewall bushing. It made a tremendous difference and has worked well since. At first after I installed it I was feeling some resistance in shifting to 3rd. I took it apart and found that the shift rod from the firewall to the gear shift where it slides in the firewall bushing needed to be cleaned up. After I cleaned it with emory cloth and re-greased it. It worked fine and has ever since. Never was able to get the boot on. I might try some of the listed procedures from here.

Click to view attachment
ThePaintedMan
To get the rubber boot back on I always folded it back over at the first or second "rib" then fold it back over the lip on the firewall. No special tools needed and minimal stress.
r_towle
Hook it on top first.
Then use need nose pliers to pull it over the bottom...

Easier on the hands
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.