Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vacuum Engine Timing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lsintampa
75 2.0 FI backdated exhaust

So I'm old school (carb cars).

On my 74 TR-6 I set my timing not to the book, but by using a vacuum gauge.

The TR-6 and other older cars, could have timing marks move on the main crank pulley. On the TR-6 the outer section of the pulley and the inner portion were sort of molded onto some sort of rubber ring that kept both pieces together. Over time and with age the rings could get out of alignment causing TDC mark to actually move.

ANYWAY, that aside, has anyone used a Vacuum Gauge to time a FI 914?

Thanks,

Len
ThePaintedMan
I have not, but I can swing by sometime next week and time it with my light. I assume that they already did that when they installed the engine though?
Cap'n Krusty
That pulley on the TR6 is an harmonic balancer. That same device is used on a lot of cars, and the failure mode is pretty common.

Why would you want to time the 914 engine any way but the factory specified method? It's simple, easy, and it works. The fan isn't inner outer components connected by rubber, so it doesn't come apart, and there's also an easily accessible mark on the flywheel.

The Cap'n
Mike Bellis
To get a good vacuum timing setting, the best is to use an "inches of water" vacuum gauge. This will give better results than a standard vacuum gauge. Set timing for maximum vacuum at idle.

I used this method on a V8 in a 914. Does this count?
lsintampa
Was just asking if anyone has done it is all. It's my first 914 so I'm just asking the question.

All I know is that setting the timing to "spec" on the TR-6 using a timing light was way off and using the VG was the best way to get it right.

I have timing light and the timing was recently set by the shop that rebuild the motor. If that's the best way to do it, then my question was answered!

Thanks.

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 24 2014, 11:20 AM) *

That pulley on the TR6 is an harmonic balancer. That same device is used on a lot of cars, and the failure mode is pretty common.

Why would you want to time the 914 engine any way but the factory specified method? It's simple, easy, and it works. The fan isn't inner outer components connected by rubber, so it doesn't come apart, and there's also an easily accessible mark on the flywheel.

The Cap'n

lsintampa
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ May 24 2014, 11:27 AM) *

To get a good vacuum timing setting, the best is to use an "inches of water" vacuum gauge. This will give better results than a standard vacuum gauge. Set timing for maximum vacuum at idle.

Apparently doesn't count if it isn't a 914 motor. Works well for others though. (again I'm guessing)

I know it worked really well on my water cooled / carb cars.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(lsintampa @ May 24 2014, 08:31 AM) *

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ May 24 2014, 11:27 AM) *

Apparently doesn't count if it isn't a 914 motor. Works well for others though. (again I'm guessing)

I know it worked really well on my water cooled / carb cars.

I used to use this method on VW T1 motors with good results. This almost counts. I still keep my vintage inches of water gauge tucked away in the original box just in case I need to use it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.