Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Early wondow reg.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scotty b
I'm going to be starting on my dads 72 in a few weeks and was wondering if anyone had come up with a reliable fix for the aerly window regulators jumping out? IPB Image I have always just wire tied them from one bolt to the other and around the track, IPB Image but this is certainly NOT the best fix!!
scotty b
EARLY !!!! Beat ya to it IPB Image
dmenche914
Wire sounds good to me. i contemplated drilling and putting a pin thru the metal / plastic parts to keep them together, but them I got thinking, maybe it was designed to pop out, such that if a window is forced down, or is stuck from say ice, that the metal part will pop out of the plastic part, thus preventing damage to the drive mechanism (cable, and gears) Problem is that "break away" feasture all too often wears, adn starts to fall apart, and each time you put it back, it wears a bit more, and it don't stay together. So wire it loosely so that you do not risk wrecking the drive mechanism if the window jams.

good luck dave
Jeffs9146
I just replaced it with another one from a lower mileage car. Andy gave me a few tips on lubing up the track rollers and it works great now!

Jeff
mightyohm
I have early window regs and neither of them have popped out once in 2 yrs.
scotty b
You've never gotten mad at your car have you Jeff?? Shut the door a little to hard and POP IPB Image
SirAndy
QUOTE (scotty b @ Jan 16 2005, 12:09 PM)
Shut the door a little to hard and POP IPB Image

i've got myself a set from EASY that was in good working order.
no more POPs ...

once the plastic has separated from the metal tab, i don't think there's any good solution to get it back on besides maybe heating up the metal and pressing it back on.
this is a weak spot in the design ...

if you keep the channels clean and lubed up, it'll work just fine.

hmmm, how about a metal replacement for the plastic roller that can be welded on the tab?
IPB Image Andy
markb
I had that problem on mine. The fix was to re-glue the metal plates at the lower left of the window. When the plates come loose, the glass moves around, and it won't stay against the winding mechanism, and it jumps out. Re-glue the plates and you should be golden. I took mine to a glass place and had them use the really good stuff. Haven't had a problem since. This presupposes you've cleaned & lubed everything, of course.
Jeffs9146
You've never gotten mad at your car have you Jeff??

Each time something happens to the car it is another "OPORTUNITY" not a problem!

I get to tap into the vast knowledge of this group and fix it myself!! It's very satisfying!

Jeff IPB Image
scotty b
You Cali guys are so zen about this stuff, I wish I could be so..... IPB Image IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.