Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cleaning oil galleys
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lonewolfe
I've pulled my oil galley plugs and have been looking for long brushes to clean the galleys out. What have you all used and where did you buy them?
r_towle
Gun cleaning brushes, gun store
Furnace cleaning brushes, home depot
Justinp71
Gun cleaning brushes at Walmart...
jmalone
Harbor Freight has assortments of brushes (look for paint gun cleaning kits)
lonewolfe
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ May 24 2014, 03:49 PM) *

I read another's post and they said they broke off a gun cleaning brush deep in the oil galley which is pretty scary. I've never cleaned a gun before so have not seen these brushes yet. I would think the shaft is metal though and difficult to break. What are they made out of in reality?
r_towle
As with anything in life today, you get what you pay for.
Go to a gun shop and take a look.
Olympic 914
QUOTE(lonewolfe @ May 25 2014, 07:37 PM) *

QUOTE(Justinp71 @ May 24 2014, 03:49 PM) *

I read another's post and they said they broke off a gun cleaning brush deep in the oil galley which is pretty scary. I've never cleaned a gun before so have not seen these brushes yet. I would think the shaft is metal though and difficult to break. What are they made out of in reality?

That would be me and it did truly suck..... that said the gun brush that broke was aluminum at the end where it threads onto the rod. maybe one that was made of brass at the threads would be better but then you still have a threaded aluminum rod.
another thought is going to your aquarium shop and getting a long brush from them. they are mad of hard plastic bristles like a toothbrush and less likely to bind up in your oil galley and break off

That what I used after I cleared out the old broken gun brush pieces.

lonewolfe
Well, I picked up an assortment of brushes at Harbor Freight today. I ran one through a galled and as suspected, there's a ton of gunk in there. This motor was really slugged up when I took it apart. Whoever owned it before me really did a poor job of staying up on their oil and filter changes. It will all be spotless by the weekend!

Thanks for all your suggestions everyone!

Mark
Cap'n Krusty
I bought my bore brushes at a welding supply store.

The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.