Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Upgrading to v2.0.3 of Invision Power Board
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Part Pricer
Gentlemen,

I have just spent some time working on the installation and setup of a site that is using v2.0.3 of Invision Power Board. Not to step on anyone's toes, because I don't know what is going on behind the scenes, this is an upgrade that we might want to consider pursuing. Version 2.0+ of Invision Power Board adds considerable features, functionality over the 1.1 version that the site is currently using. The upgrade may be worth it for the improvements in the Search function alone.

However, I seem to remember reading in one of the threads that someone was working on writing Image Gallery and/or Blog software that would integrate directly with the forum software and membership database. The good news is that this has already been done for v2.0+ and is fully supported by Invision.

Have we looked at this option already? I found that the price for a perpetual license and the add-on modules could not be beat. The prices are:

Perpetual License · $185.00
Invision Gallery · $65.00 (I think this cost only $50 because we bought the Perpetual License first)
Invision Blog · $50.00 (I think this cost only $30 because we bought the Perpetual License first)

So, for around $265 we got a complete suite with Perpetual License that includes free support (telephone and online). I would gladly contribute. But, the system also has the ability to administer paid subscriptions so there is the capability of generating revenue by selling upgrades (gallerys, blogs, etc.) However, that is a completely different discussion.

The difference between versions 1 and 2 are listed here. http://docs.invisionpower.com/kb/article.php?id=226

They also have an online trial system where you can try the system as well as login and admin the system.
http://www.invisionboard.com/?demo
As a user, I particularly like the option of viewing threads by Outline · Standard · Linear+

Just a thought that I am passing along.

Respectfully submitted.
Bleyseng
I looked at it too and sounds like a good idea. I am pretty sure the other BBS I am on uses this version. Tried the Demo and of course got a error message.. IPB Image
Nope , the other BBS is powered by Zeroforums.
Geoff IPB Image
SirAndy
QUOTE (Paul Heery @ Jan 16 2005, 10:39 AM)
The upgrade may be worth it for the improvements in the Search function alone.

with all the custom coding we did to this site, upgrading to a newer version would be a PITB ...
we are, however, looking into new alternative BBS software packages that will allow us to scale better in the future.
wink.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.