Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Does the Indy 500 discussion belong here
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PanelBilly
I'm positioned on the couch and Julie is cooking breakfast. Hope for a good show today.
Spoke
Andretti hanging in there. Will he break the Andretti-Indy jinx?

Tony Kannan out.
PanelBilly
One of the better Indycar races, I love to see a real battle for 1st
brp986s
yellow really is faster. Dijon faster than sunflower. Whoops! take that back!
messix
the best last 5 laps I've seen in a long time!!!

one hell of a good race!
stugray
classic finish!

It looked like Castroneves was crying there for a few minutes.

I was just commenting to my son (learing about performance auto stuff) that in that final struggle where the 2nd place car pulled up to the side of the 1st and then overtook him.

The car that comes up from behind has just spent the last few seconds running at less than full power while the lead car is giving it every bit.
I wonder if the car that comes from behind has a couple extra HP just because the engine should be a few degrees cooler than the lead car.
With modern ECUs the hotter engine would pull a couple of extra degrees of timing...
PanelBilly
I was swearing at abc when they split the screen in the heat of the action to show his wife.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(stugray @ May 25 2014, 12:49 PM) *

I wonder if the car that comes from behind has a couple extra HP just because the engine should be a few degrees cooler than the lead car.

It's probably more due to aero than engine power. The car in the back is not pushing through as much air, so it can go a little faster and get around. Of course, at some point the airflow over the car gets disrupted and the handling gets funky, so you have to be careful exactly where you go relative to the other car...

I missed the last ~half of the race, too bad.

--DD
stugray
The car in the back is not pushing through as much air, so it can go a little faster and get around.

But I was referring to after he made the move to pass.
They were neck & neck then the car that was behind began to pull away and win.

I was just wondering if he had that extra 1/3HP because he just came out from the draft and was running cooler as a result.
Elliot Cannon
It was a great finish. However, I don't think I have ever seen so many commercials during a sporting event before. dry.gif
Larmo63
It was almost unwatchable because of so many commercials. The first 3/4 of the race was a snoozer. No real racing, just positioning. Basically, it was a merry-go-round. The last 30 laps were by far worth the price of admission. (except for the %^&*#$@ commercials)

The pass that Ryan Hunter Reay made on the inside (he almost went into the grass) should have been replayed more at the end. That was insane. I'm glad an American won too!
Jetsetsurfshop
QUOTE(messix @ May 25 2014, 11:19 AM) *

the best last 5 laps I've seen in a long time!!!

one hell of a good race!

agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.