Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Upholstery, trying to get a friend into doing 914 stuff
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr Evil
I have a friend local to me that had his own upholstery biz, but the market here is not great. He, still has his stuff and I have approached him about doing 914 seats and such. He is interested.

Things that I used to have done in Mexico that he can do:
-Seats; stock, bolsters, colors
-Dashes
-Back pads
-Door panels
-Pillar pieces, over head pieces, etc.

I am going to try to get him started with seats first. That way, I already have cores that someone is donating and he can establish himself.

So, the question I have of the peanut gallery is, what is a good price for freshly restored and recovered stock seats?

I have no dog in this fight. I am just a guy that sees a need for a friend to make some extra money and keep his talents sharp, and a group of enthusiasts who can benefit form such skills. I am not making a dime, but I do want to help if I can smile.gif
mepstein
I don't know about pricing but I wuld be interested in some seats redone with wool tartan inserts. I would supply the tartan material. I have the fiberglass cores for the seats but they will need all new padding and vinyl. The old vinyl is still on the seats so I'm guessing it could be used for a pattern. Let me know what you come up with. Thanks
R8CERX
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 25 2014, 07:56 PM) *

I don't know about pricing but I wuld be interested in some seats redone with wool tartan inserts. I would supply the tartan material. I have the fiberglass cores for the seats but they will need all new padding and vinyl. The old vinyl is still on the seats so I'm guessing it could be used for a pattern. Let me know what you come up with. Thanks

Perhaps pictures of his work may help?

I would be interested in doing my original -6 driver vynil full seat and passenger cushion-with original period vynil material (I can provide sample of vynil weave to be sure).

keep us posted

R8CERX
shoguneagle
For you Doc, I will have him do my dash, door trim, center console, etc. I am sure his skills are on par with our needs. It will be about a year before I am ready to finalize my car. Still getting things back to running condition since the theft of my parts. These will include dash top (911 style) along with what has been mentioned.

If Doc says he is worthwhile to try, then I am there to help Doc and his friend out. Enough said!

Steve
Dr Evil
No work samples yet. The problem there is if I have him do the cores and he makes them for one year, and you need another, then he wasted time, money, and cores. He is professionally trained and did have his own biz, so that is something. Those who want to get in first, will wink.gif

He is still getting set up and running for this. I just sprung this on him tonight. Move fast or get over!
nsr-jamie
Hi Doc, would your friend think about making kits? I want to recover both my seats but with the corduroy inserts? It would cost a fortune for me to send him my seats but if a kit were available like Auto Atlanta I would be interested for sure...but it has to be the correct and heavy duty automotive grade corduroy so it lasts and doesn't lose its color and shape after 6 months....it seems like there is not much of a market for the corduroy inserts so it could be a good chance for him if he can do it right.
Dr Evil
Thanks for always being a cheerleader, Steve cheer.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 25 2014, 11:23 PM) *

No work samples yet. The problem there is if I have him do the cores and he makes them for one year, and you need another, then he wasted time, money, and cores. He is professionally trained and did have his own biz, so that is something. Those who want to get in first, will wink.gif

He is still getting set up and running for this. I just sprung this on him tonight. Move fast or get over!

I would think being a pro with experience, he could quote. Having me throw out numbers is sort of meaningless. But I would like to have this done if the price is acceptable to both parties. Thanks for getting the ball rolling.
Dr Evil
That was the issue here. The prices were too low to justify the effort so he went and got a day job. He has not done a seat yet so a ball park from y'all is helpful. If y'all want at one price and it is not worth it to him, then no harm and this goes away. If not, then he proceeds. Seem simple to me. Low risk on both parties. He has no reason so set up if the market is soft. But, offer a number or dont. Your call, someone will likely step up with a ball park figure. When I was doing this I ran into the same concept. I offered what I could do and went from there. That is just one way to go. I was a broker, though. I had Mexico do the work and I exported that.
Dr Evil
Here is some before and after of a different car.
carr914
The Problem with Seats, Dashs and other Big items is the Shipping Costs. Then you add in that you are dealing with CSOB's. I'm sure he could pick up a little work, but probably not a lot.

R8CERX
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 25 2014, 08:48 PM) *

Here is some before and after of a different car.

Let's get the ball rolling- Picture of his work and the trust of the doctor to have a good friend he is trying to help may be a win win situation for all

Here is my request for a quote:

Feel free to contact me via PM or email--anacfez@hotmail.com

I can forward pictures as well of what I got and then he can quote

basically:

My driver's seat has to be redone 100%
My passenger cushion (as there is no seat) has a small tear
My center console pad, has a small tear

I am just trying to get them back to original looks with same weave material--

Let me know how best to proceed

txs

RX
mepstein
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 25 2014, 11:45 PM) *

That was the issue here. The prices were too low to justify the effort so he went and got a day job. He has not done a seat yet so a ball park from y'all is helpful. If y'all want at one price and it is not worth it to him, then no harm and this goes away. If not, then he proceeds. Seem simple to me. Low risk on both parties. He has no reason so set up if the market is soft. But, offer a number or dont. Your call, someone will likely step up with a ball park figure. When I was doing this I ran into the same concept. I offered what I could do and went from there. That is just one way to go. I was a broker, though. I had Mexico do the work and I exported that.

i would say $300-400/seat for labor. x 2 seats for me. I might do door panels later.
Valy
I'm in for seat kits. I can supply the (brown) fabric if needed.
Shipping seats both ways doesn't make sense to me, it will be cheaper to go local. This is no rocket science that only he can do so competitive pricing is important.
Harpo
For what it is worth I was quoted $1400 for my two seats in vinyl. I ended up upgrading to leather and paying a bit more. The seats look awesome and I'm very happy with the seats.

David
Dr Evil
Shipping two seats, including the box, one way is about $50 (subtract $11 for return as you dont need to buy the box twice). I did this for a living and shipping was actually not a huge deal.

Thanks for the input. I will forward this onto him and keep y'all up on what happens.
Larmo63
I was quoted here locally two seats for $900-1100 depending on how much foam needed. Very reputable shop. Concours quality.
partwerks
I had a guy locally recover the two seat cushions, and replace that board on the bottom, for $120.00 on his labor.

He's wanting to retire, but can't find anyone who wants to take up that trade.
rick 918-S
My guy has patterns from when he did two sets of my seats. The Alien was in leather bolsters with Pasha inserts. I have a set od sets in Sandy's car he did stock basket weave. I have asked him about pricing for kits as well. I'll start a thread after we meet.
ben*james
I'd like to get my dash covered in stitched leather. Do I need to send the dash down, or does he have a core to work with?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.