Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 M471
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
M471
Hello! I am new to the 914 World. I recently purchased a 1970 914-6 believed to be an original 'dealer installed' M471 car. The motor is a period correct 2.5L Twin Plug with original 46IDA Weber Carburetors. The engine is believed to have been with the car since it left the dealership. The chassis has been stiffened, the car has 'S' calipers, drilled rotors, KONI adjustable suspension, 10K tach, Scheel driver's seat, and lots of other rare goodies. The COA lists FINLAND PACKAGE and LIGHT METAL WHEELS as some of the options. I am curious if there are any tell-tale signs I should be looking for in order to establish pedigree. Any idea what the Finland Package is?
bcheney
QUOTE(M471 @ May 25 2014, 10:48 PM) *

Hello! I am new to the 914 World. I recently purchased a 1970 914-6 believed to be an original 'dealer installed' M471 car. The motor is a period correct 2.5L Twin Plug with original 46IDA Weber Carburetors. The engine is believed to have been with the car since it left the dealership. The car has 'S' calipers, drilled rotors, KONI adjustable suspension, 10K tach, Scheel driver's seat, and lots of other rare goodies. The COA lists FINLAND PACKAGE as one of the options. I am curious if there are any tell-tale signs I should be looking for in order to establish pedigree. Any idea what the Finland Package is?

One of our members (smg914) who owns a M471 once posted this:

The factory produced approximately 23 914-6's with the M471 Competiton Option Group (15 in 1971 and 8 in 1972). The 15 produced in 1971 were originally intended to become racecars but most were eventually sold as GT look-a-likes for the street. Porsche considered the M471 optioned 914-6's produced in 1971 as factory GT's along with the 33 914-6 GT racecars that were produced in 1970 and 71. The fact that the factory was only able to document 48 factory produced cars (500 required to be homologated) in 1970 and 1971, eventually the SCCA disqualified them from the class they were competing in, resulting in the factory withdrawing their support.
914Sixer
DO NOT trust information on the COA. It is a crap shoot in some cases.
carr914
welcome.png

The "Finland" Package is a PCNA Mistake
M471
Thanks for the reply. I was under the impression that there were approx. 400-500 dealer modified cars sold with the M471 option.
carr914
Porsche had to make 400 Kits available to Dealers in able to Homogolate the 914-6GT for Racing. This consisted mostly of the Flares and most went unsold for years. One Dealer (San Diego area if I remember correctly) bought most of the unsold stock.

What is the VIN # of your car?

Here is a List of the Factory Cars

Click to view attachment
M471
MY car is

914 043 1367

I am in California, so it would make sense that it came from a California dealership offering the M471 option.
SirAndy
QUOTE(M471 @ May 25 2014, 08:52 PM) *

MY car is

914 043 1367

That is Ian's old car. As far as i know, it's a GT replica and not a m471 ...
idea.gif

PS: welcome.png
SirAndy
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 25 2014, 09:11 PM) *
That is Ian's old car. As far as i know, it's a GT replica and not a m471 ...

Found Ian's old thread from 2005 before he restored that car:

QUOTE(Achtung Englander @ Apr 18 2005, 07:05 AM) *

Here's a pic of current project, it is a real six, needs floors, right hand long, just about everything! It's going to have a 2.5 short stroke and AA flares.

IPB Image

popcorn[1].gif
rick 918-S
Regardless it's still a factory 6. Cool! welcome.png
M471
I spoke to Ian on the phone and he said he never owned my car. My car has completely original metal throughout including the original M471 Fenders. The floors and longitudinal sections are original and rust free. The car pictured above is definitely his car, however, it has nothing to do with mine. He never posted the vin number in his original add. Someone must have read it wrong. According to him his car received an extensive restoration and is now in England. His car was an original Irish Green car per the COA and he transformed it into a Lufthansa GT replica. My car is Adriatic Blue per the COA. Different cars.
brant
Sorry off topic
I thought the m471's all came with 2.0 motors. Would love to know if that is true
Gustl
QUOTE(brant @ May 26 2014, 06:30 AM) *

I thought the m471's all came with 2.0 motors. Would love to know if that is true

that's true - they had the standard engine
the M471 option was kind of a body kit (including wider wheels) to make them look like the race cars

Nozzle
I think the option comments on the COA can often be guesswork on the part of the individual doing the Porsche code German-English translation for the 914. My COA also had a strange option line stating the car was delivered with the 'Norwegian Market Package'. The odd thing is the car was sold new in Santa Barbara California to the first owner and has all the standard US market hardware intact. Perhaps with the more popular models like the 911 and 356, the option translations are much better understood and researched on those COAs. confused24.gif
carr914
The CoA's got all screwed up when PCNA moved from Reno, NV to Atlanta, GA. Before the move, CoA's were accurate and included Tranny Numbers and Dealership where the car was Sold.

After the Move, ALL CoA's were screwed up including 911s. My 74 Carrera RS wasn't even listed as a Carrera even though the VIN was easy
jim_hoyland
Sounds like a great find. Please post current pics smile.gif Will you be attending Porsche Parade this June in Monterey ? beer3.gif
brant
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ May 26 2014, 10:34 AM) *

Sounds like a great find. Please post current pics smile.gif Will you be attending Porsche Parade this June in Monterey ? beer3.gif

Or a huge disappointment if it was sold as a factory M471
Still a six but not a factory installed/dealer installed
One of 23 is different from a collecting standpoint.
I hope it wasn't mis represented
What is the engine serial number?
carr914
QUOTE(brant @ May 26 2014, 01:53 PM) *

OP thought that it was a "Dealer" M471
ellisor3
He mentioned the Finland package. Weren't some of those cars sent to Finland for body work? I seem to remember seeing one that had flares that were basically flat on top where they attach next to the hood.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(carr914 @ May 26 2014, 10:39 AM) *

QUOTE(brant @ May 26 2014, 01:53 PM) *

OP thought that it was a "Dealer" M471

A fine point. If the flares were part of the factory kit... If the flares were installed by a dealership... Then it is an M471 technically. The factory had to make 400 kits to homologate. Mine is 'just' a GT Replica but that involves considerable cost and effort just as the M471 kits would have.
SirAndy
QUOTE(M471 @ May 25 2014, 07:48 PM) *
The COA lists FINLAND PACKAGE as one of the options .... Any idea what the Finland Package is?

There have been a lot of speculations over the years about that option.

At this point, i'm pretty sure this is a mistake as Porsche started to reuse option codes from other vehicles that had different meanings.
My best guess is that this is a internal mixup at Porsche.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=83245

The closest i have ever come to something that might actually make any sense is the "Heavy duty air-filter" listed below as Finland equipment:

IPB Image
M471
My COA also lists LIGHT METAL WHEELS. A dealer likely planned on building an M471 for a customer and ordered everything he could get.
brant
what is the motor serial?
M471
The motor is a 2.5L Twin Plug. The case half part numbers (901.101.102.2R + 901.101.101.3R)
rgalla9146
Every 911 engine ever made is potentially a twin plug.
The numbers you provided are casting numbers and only tell what era of block it is.
Are there any numbers on the right vertical fan support ? If none, it is a replacement block OR a 914/6 block. A 914/6 block would have the numbers at the flywheel end of the block next to the oil thermostat.
Are there type numbers on the horizontal surface to the right of the vertical support ? A type number would typically be 901/ xx , 911/ xx or 930/ xx
A 914/6 engine is 901/38 a factory twin plug is a very rare, unusual, and expensive engine.
M471
The vertical fan support appears to be void of numbers. The block is totally blank. No numbers on the topside whatsoever. What would that mean? I will check the spot near the thermostat this evening. I forgot about that one.
pete000
This is getting interesting...

popcorn[1].gif

Adriatic blue M471 is my favorite combination.

welcome.png
M471
QUOTE(pete000 @ May 26 2014, 05:51 PM) *

This is getting interesting...

popcorn[1].gif

Adriatic blue M471 is my favorite combination.

welcome.png

Mine too. I will get some pictures up tomorrow. smile.gif
rgalla9146
The numbers are usually dirty and obscured and easy to miss.
Look on the right side of the fan saddle at the 5'oclock position.
Look at both horizontal and vertical surfaces after wiping clean.
Yes, there are blank replacement blocks. Only seen very rarely.
Look thoroughly.
carr914
QUOTE(M471 @ May 26 2014, 07:48 PM) *

The block is totally blank. No numbers on the topside whatsoever. What would that mean?

A Replacement Case - I've had one before
sixnotfour
check here; and on the right side of the fan stand , that is where a 70-71 number would be..If it is a 911 case..
M471
Here is a picture of mine:

Click to view attachment
rgalla9146
OK, now for the second part of the question.
Is there a " type # " on the horizontal surface as circled in the pic provided by SIXNOTFOUR ?
OR, any numbers at all on the flat surface at the flywheel end of the engine on top, near the thermostat ?
We'll get there.
This is like a trip to the dentist.
M471
I will take more pictures this evening. I appears that I was looking in the wrong place. This is my first 914/6. I am formerly a 911 guy.
M471
Here she is in her current condition. There is a bit of completion I will need to do and I may be asking a few questions along the way:

ClayPerrine
The M471 package on a 914-6 was more than just flares and bigger wheels. It also had factory sway bars.

The wheels should be 15x7 Fuchs front and 15x8 Fuchs rears and it should have vented brake rotors all the way around, same as the GT cars.

Basically, an M471 car was a GT with an interior.

brant
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ May 27 2014, 11:43 AM) *

The M471 package on a 914-6 was more than just flares and bigger wheels. It also had factory sway bars.

The wheels should be 15x7 Fuchs front and 15x8 Fuchs rears and it should have vented brake rotors all the way around, same as the GT cars.

not always true
all kinds of combinations
I had a buddy with a real m471
I honestly do not think his was dealer installed

he did have front S calipers and koni's (not drilled rotors... doubt they existed at the time)

he also had the flares and balsa wood front/rear hoods
he also had the oil cooler ducting, thermostat, and GT bumper/valance

no rear vented brakes though
and 6 inch fuchs...
(and his car came with a stock 2.0/6 motor and the engine serial matched the COA)

remember the GT's that were raced didn't have 8inch fuchs
the max moritz car started the trend of running a magnesium race wheel of 8inches because there wasn't a factory 8 fuch made at that period of time

I honestly believe that vented rear brakes were added later to these "race" cars
I could be wrong on that... but often race cars are modified in service... things are done to them when they are 4-5 years old that is above and beyond how they were built.

my buddies old car went to germany now
the new owner is a member here although doesn't post often

I doubt that dealer installed packages included all of the bits
many would of been just flares
I know very few had balsa wood hoods

I can't imagine a dealership installing bumpers and calipers very often
if they sold a packaged' car to a racing organization I would imagine most race shops added other bits from there...
mepstein
Autoatlanta has an m471. It's just steel flares and wheel spacers on a 914-6
SirAndy
It seems there is a LOT of confusion about what was part of the m471 package.

This thread has some good info:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=108357

The m471 package ONLY included:

- Metal Fender Flares
- 6x15 Alloy Wheels
- Longer Wheel Studs and 21mm Spacers front/rear

Anything else was extra!

IPB Image
rgalla9146
Wow ! your car looks fantastic ! Love the color. And the velocity stacks ! Good luck with it.
carr914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 27 2014, 03:16 PM) *

It seems there is a LOT of confusion about what was part of the m471 package.

This thread has some good info:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=108357

The m471 package ONLY included:

- Metal Fender Flares
- 6x15 Alloy Wheels
- Longer Wheel Studs and 21mm Spacers front/rear

Anything else was extra!

IPB Image

agree.gif

Gustl
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ May 27 2014, 06:43 PM) *

simply not true ...

carr914
QUOTE(M471 @ May 27 2014, 12:28 PM) *

Here she is in her current condition. There is a bit of completion I will need to do and I may be asking a few questions along the way:

Car looks great! For some reason, I think I have seen that in pictures before. Are you using a 12 Point Dizzy or a Crank-Fire Ignition?
Chris H.
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ May 27 2014, 02:40 PM) *

Wow ! your car looks fantastic ! Love the color. And the velocity stacks ! Good luck with it.

But...Can we see a picture of the WHOLE CAR at once confused24.gif biggrin.gif ?
M471
JBR 12 Point Dizzy:
M471
QUOTE(Chris H. @ May 27 2014, 01:27 PM) *

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ May 27 2014, 02:40 PM) *

But...Can we see a picture of the WHOLE CAR at once confused24.gif biggrin.gif ?

Chris H.
Whew! Shheeeeit that thing is pretty.
M471
QUOTE(Chris H. @ May 27 2014, 01:43 PM) *

Whew! Shheeeeit that thing is pretty.

I'll post some better pictures once she is all done smile.gif
naro914
NICE!!!
Whether original or not...that's one beautiful car!

carr914
QUOTE(M471 @ May 27 2014, 04:32 PM) *

JBR 12 Point Dizzy:

The Best out there! There is a chance JBR won't last - my good friend Mike, Head of the Engine Dept left for a few reasons

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.