Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: hydraulic press; 12 or 20 ton
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rmdinmd
I am thinking about picking up one of the HF hydraulic presses and wondering if the 12 ton would be all I would probable need or should I go for the 20 ton one.

I wouldn't use it much, but there are times when things have to be pressed in. Like my sons wheel bearings when they went bad. I also have read that with the 914 there are ways around a press but that a press would probable make things easier.

what are your thoughts on this guys?

Waste of money?
12 ton plenty or might come up short?
20 ton?
motorvated
QUOTE(rmdinmd @ May 26 2014, 06:53 AM) *

I am thinking about picking up one of the HF hydraulic presses and wondering if the 12 ton would be all I would probable need or should I go for the 20 ton one.

I wouldn't use it much, but there are times when things have to be pressed in. Like my sons wheel bearings when they went bad. I also have read that with the 914 there are ways around a press but that a press would probable make things easier.

what are your thoughts on this guys?

Waste of money?
12 ton plenty or might come up short?
20 ton?

Years ago I bought a 12-ton press Harbor Freight. Used it to press out/in ball joints. It worked great. Since then I haven't used it much, but every time I needed it, it was invaluable to have it there. Just used it to change the bearings on my rear control arms, and to press new longer lug studs into the front and rear 5-lug hubs. If you have the garage space for it, I'd get one. Never needed anything beefier than the 12 ton, even though I've loaded up the 12-ton pretty heavily. Just my 2 cents.
76-914
+1 on the 12 ton. And they don't require any more space than a drill press! I think I paid $99 for mine with the 25% coupon.
JStroud
I have the 12 ton, don't use it much, but the times I do it's very handy. Better than a vise or a BFH, very controlled. Pressed out the shaft from a rear trailing arm the other day, like it was greased, took about 30 seconds.

The 12 is all you would probably need working on these cars, but if you can afford it the 20 would obviously be better.

rmdinmd
Thx guys. biggrin.gif

it sounds like the 12 will be all I will most likely need. like you all said, I don't expect to use it much; but like my sawzall and hammer drill, when you need them, they are great to have.

Bartlett 914
Never used the 12 ton press. I have an older 20 ton. I use it all the time. I say go big. 20 ton is usually more than enough. I have wanted more.
toolguy
Get the 20 ton. . it is on sale in a current flyer for $155
colingreene
I have a 12, ive loaded it up pretty hard but it usually does the job.
but if you have the space for the 20 do that.
My garage is what you would call space limited.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.