Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: how tight
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jacksun
how tight for the nut (A) before tightening (B)

seems to be a difference in the "free spin" of the rotor if I get it too tight?

tks

r

Click to view attachment
Elliot Cannon
Once tightened you should be able to slide the washer behind the nut with a wide bladed screw driver. It should slide back and forth with some resistance.
stugray
Just a note:
I used the "just be able to slide the washer with a screwdriver" just two days ago.

Then I rolled the car about 10 feet and had to remove the rotors again.
When I took them off the nuts were barely finger tight.
So next time I will tighten them just a little more than last time and be sure to check them after driving for a bit.
Elliot Cannon
I always tighten more than necessary to seat the bearings, rotate the wheel a bit, then loosen just enough to slide the washer. You can check the bearing adjustment every so often when the car is on the ground by grabbing the top of the tire and pulling back and forth. If you hear a "clicking" noise, it's too loose. I had a friend years ago who over tightened the front right wheel bearing on his VW bug. The spindle got so hot the wheel came off on the freeway and took the next off-ramp. av-943.gif Luckily, there where no injuries. Just embarrassment. biggrin.gif
jacksun
thank you for the help..

first...my washer has a tongue on it to correspond with the notch in the "spindle?"

I tightened and then backed off as suggested.

as I back off about a 1/8 turn

I pull on the rotor to make sure it doesn't "click" and then

I tighten "B". the rotor turns freely......

I cant really move the washer.

the tip about when the tire is on is something to check "pre-flight".

thanks again.

r

larss
I have the wheel on when doing this, rock and feel where I have a play.
First I tighten more then neccesary to seat the bearing, then losen a bit until I can feel a play at the wheel...rotate...tighten a bit until no play...rotate losen..and so on until Im sure where I just have (almost) no play there I thighten the lock nut.
Check after some miles of driving.

/Lars S
stugray
I did this again last night.

I think the perfect method is the following:
1 - Overtighten the nut (while turning the rotor) to verify bearing races are seated.
2 - Loosen the nut until you can get some free play in the wheel (top & bottom wiggle just barely).
3 - Retighten the nut until no noticeable wheel wiggle.
4 - Verify that you can move the washer by prying with the tip of a screwdriver.

Of course you can tighten the nut until you have no wobble, but overtightening means you cannot move the washer.

No perceptible wheel wobble PLUS able to still move the washer = "just right".

I then drove the car a mile or so & jacked up the front and checked, and they were still just right.
larss
agree.gif

Exactly the way I prefer to fovit.

/Lars S
mgp4591
Most auto mechanics (including myself) overtighten and spin the hub to seat the bearing a couple of times, then back it off til there's no tension then bring it back up gently until it doesn't tighten without pushing it. Done it thousands of times, never had a wheel come off. Of course, I always made sure the bearings and races were in good shape if not new, and the bearings properly grease packed. Don't forget new seals! shades.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.