Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil Detective
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DNHunt
I know, new motor, the rings aren't seated. So I had it apart to fix an oil leak and I started looking around. Oill in the intake behind the valve. Ah sh*t!
DNHunt
But, wait there's more. Oil in the intake runner.
DNHunt
There's still more. Oil in the plenum.
DNHunt
THere's still More! Oil in the vacuum line to the PCV valve.

So, could it be that the rings aren't seated so there oil remaining in the cylinders. Because of high crankcase pressure and higher vacuum, oil from the crankcase is being carried to the intake at a higher than stock rate.

Maybe I'll need a breater system or a different PCV valve

Dave
machina
are you sure you didn't overfill?

if not it could be your case/head venting.

is that a 2270?
J P Stein
Probably the rings.
Are you using non-detergent oil?
Mark Henry
Are you blowing a lot of smoke?

If it was the rings or guides the thing would be like a mosquito fogger with that much oil!

Looks more like your pumping oil up the breather tube to me...how's it plumbed? Better pic please....
Mark Henry
Hmmmm....I wonder....with your 2270 and stock plenum are you creating so much vacuum that your are actually sucking oil right out of the engine?

Maybe you will need an external breather that sits high in the bay. Say a 4" piece of 1 1/2 tube, on end with a return on the bottom, the inlet just over half way up and outlet to the TB at the top. Put a couple of SS scrub pads or some kind of baffle in the tube.

Just an idea....
Gint
Was Andy over there taking pics?

Wish I could help Dave. I'm sure the eggssperts will have some insight.
rhodyguy
stupid guess time. if the rings weren't seated, could the the compression be blowing back into the case? call 1-800- georgia. dave's car doesn't blow much out the ex pipe.

kevin
DNHunt
Smoking on decel. I had one of the heads off today to get to an oil leak. The cylinders still look brand new. I do believe its sucking oil into the plenum though.

Dave
redshift
Ok, so far I am with Mark, especially on the smoking decel.. it just sounds... 'sucky'.

M
Bleyseng
How much vacuum are you pulling at idle?
Hmm, how much air you blowing out of the hose from the PCV valve??

Geoff
Porsche Rescue
I have always believed that smoke on decel is from oil leaking by the exhaust valve guides under compression. If it was passing intake guide (s) as well that would get it to the intake side.
Mark Henry
Nah....fresh heads new guides and Len (Jake) built them...I've seen T1's do this, you'll need some kind of breather box.

Don't think Jake will be around till Tuesday, if your trying to get him on the phone.
scotty914
smoking on decel is sucking oil throught the intake valve guides or from case due to high vacumn

do you have a decel valve on it
machina
My 2270 was puking lots of oil last race but I had overfilled it. I have the heads and breather vented to a 1 qt tank. Next race I'll be more careful with the oil level. With the accusump, oil coolers and lines, its hard to tell when the level is right sometimes.
Joe Ricard
It's probably just me but, I don't vent my crankcase or heads to the intake.
cnavarro
I had the same problem with my engine. It got so bad the puke box would overflow. There were two issues- the puke box was too small and secondly, I mounted it way too low. That's what it sounds to me. The stock pcv system couldn't hold up to the larger displacement.

Charles Navarro
LN Engineering
http://www.LNengineering.com
Aircooled Precision Performance
Walter
QUOTE (cnavarro @ Jan 17 2005, 05:58 AM)
... I mounted it way too low.

Charles Navarro
LN Engineering
http://www.LNengineering.com
Aircooled Precision Performance

Charles,
Was that in your type 3? If so, I can relate: mounting a case vent box in a type 3 is a nightmare since total height is so little...
Where did you eventually mount it?

I had heard earlier of vent boxes that are too smal for a large type 4. The small bugpack ones have been replaced quite a few times for larger ones IIRC.

Walter
Jake Raby
The rings definately have not seated yet. It needs to be driven harder!

Get the car into second gear and take it to 6,000 RPM 5-6 times each time accelerating briskly and then backing totally out of the throttle while leaving the clutch engaged. This will bring the vacuum up very high and will force feed the rings to seal....

The other thing that will cause this is lack of crankcase ventilation, more vent is needed when the rings are not seated as well.

These same pistons and rings have been used dozens of times with Nickies and I get them to seat on the dyno in less than 30 minutes...
DNHunt
Thanks Jake

Ok will do. But, probably not in my neighborhood. That gonna get someone pissed. Gotta avoid the noise cops.

That may not happen for a while. Engine and tranny are out of the car. I'm changing tranny's and replacing 1'st syncho. Also, it supposed to rain buckets for about 40 days.
Cali guys sent their rain up to us.

Dave

Dave
914werke
IPB Image
It needs to be driven harder!
You heard the man!
Drive it like ya stole it Dave IPB Image
rhodyguy
we should start a ticket pool. "what day will dave get his first ticket". i volunteer for to be the driver for the break in cycle. better hook up your tach dave. so, was my guess right regarding the compression leaking into the case?

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.